MakeMKV and protected ISOs

Everything related to MakeMKV
darthray

MakeMKV and protected ISOs

Post by darthray »

Hi all,

Looked around but the only reference I found was back in 2012.

I have ripped my Blu-Rays into ISOs over the years and due to initial bugs in the software I used (AnyDVDs) I decided to rip the discs to protected ISOs as opposed to decrypting them in the process.

Now I have a ton of ISOs that I would like to convert to MKV but I'm having problems getting MakeMKV to process those images. I was under the impression that using KEYDB.cfg from AACS Updater would be the ticket to make everything work, but it doesn't look like MakeMKV is even trying to use that file while trying to open the disc. This is what I get:

Code: Select all

[...]
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:CANNOT READ MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..03F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:CANNOT READ MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Highest AACS version is v57 , MKB saved as C:\Users\USER/.MakeMKV/MKB_v57_<TITLE>.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
So it looks like it's complaining that the device (a virtual drive used to mount the ISO - I'm using Windows 10's native ISO support here) doesn't provide support for decrypting the content (as expected).

Is there any way to make this work?

On a side note, FAQ /faq/item/12 seems to be in need of some updating. It is still has references to the "AACS keys directory" in preferences, which doesn't seem to exist.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV and protected ISOs

Post by Woodstock »

Do you get the same issue when you use File->Open Files to open the .ISO file directly in MakeMKV, rather than mounting it in Windows?

FAQ: Yes, there needs to be a few FAQs updated, because Mike consolidated all the special directories in MakeMKV into one, set in Preferences->General as the "MakeMKV Data Directory".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
darthray

Post by darthray »

Thank you, Woodstock. I wasn't aware of the 'open file' option had support for ISOs.

It seems to work better. The one ISO I was trying to open apparently didn't have a key listed in the KEYDB.cfg file so MakeMKV failed to open it again via 'open file'. I was able to open a different ISO though, both with 'open file' as well as with 'open disk' (I got some of the same drive-related failures as before but it went ahead and opened it anyways).

Am I correct in assuming that there's no way to decrypt this ISO without either AnyDVD HD or with a key in KEYDB.cfg for MakeMKV to use?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

DVDs should not need anything in keydb.cfg - I didn't even know that option existed until I researched it for someone here. MakeMKV can (usually) figure out the CSS encoding on a DVD.... Unless there is damage to the directory where the CSS information is stored.

Can VLC from Videolan.org play the ISO? If it fails too, it is likely the ISO file is damaged.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
darthray

Post by darthray »

I'm actually talking about BD ISOs. Since I kept them protected, I need their key to decrypt them. MakeMKV seems to do the job when I'm using the actual disc. When using the protected ISO, it looks like it depends on the corresponding key being present in the KEYDB.cfg file. AnyDVD HD seems to work fine in both cases with no need for a KEYDB.cfg file.

To answer your other question, VLC also fails for the cases where MakeMKV fails.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

MakeMKV v1.12.3 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\alexc/MakeMKV_log.txt
Backing up disc into folder "K:/OBLIVIONUHD_NA"
DEBUG: Code 0 at KP2EQg,Ybj})Rn!@:213143853
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
DEBUG: Code 0 at W\wN-!T*RKyW MUlO:213130766
DEBUG: Code 1 at j!!']HD91W0doCalw]:121263199
Error 'Scsi error - NO SENSE:NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..084002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
DEBUG: Code 0 at j!!']HD91W0doCalw]:29396414
Both disc and drive require bus encryption, but the bus key is not known.
DEBUG: Code 0 at KP2EQg,Ybj})Rn!@:213135090
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\alexc/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_OBLIVIONUHD_NA_2873.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at ug!Y?M}h37%"DxLT:121264257
DEBUG: Code 0 at lcY}9ay5=qd9 9{Pp %:213140886
DEBUG: Code 0 at w?bEd&XxJ?Y4c$I>W=+&:121264694
Backup failed