BD with multiple video tracks in one stream

Everything related to MakeMKV
Southrop

BD with multiple video tracks in one stream

Post by Southrop »

I've tried doing some searches on the forum to see if this issue has been raised before, but due to overlapping terminology, I only found results that were talking about other issues. The issue I want to address here is a single video stream (m2ts) file containing more than one video track.

I have here a BD with two video tracks in a single m2ts stream, and I have been struggling to find a way to rip this using MakeMKV. In the end, I resorted to simply making a backup of the entire BD to gain access to this second track.

I believe this is also known as Multi-Angle, but I am not particularly well versed in this. I did find this thread which seems to be relevant but deals with DVDs, and according to this thread, MakeMKV supports multi-angle DVDs already. Would I be correct to assume that MakeMKV isn't capable of ripping multi-angle BDs yet? If that is the case, is multi-angle BD support in the works?

Here are some screenshots demonstrating what I mean:

MakeMKV only gives one video per title. And of course, the resultant rip only has one video track.

Making a decrypted backup of the BD and checking the raw m2ts file in MPC-HC shows two video tracks. It also has this MediaInfo dump (clipped to relevant bit)

Code: Select all

Video #1
ID                             : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 4 frames
Codec ID                       : 27
Duration                       : 3h 6mn
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Maximum bit rate               : 34.0 Mbps
Width                          : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate                     : 23.976 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive

Video #2
ID                             : 6912 (0x1B00)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : High@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 4 frames
Codec ID                       : 27
Duration                       : 3h 6mn
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Maximum bit rate               : 5 000 Kbps
Width                          : 720 pixels
Height                         : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate                     : 23.976 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Woodstock

Re: BD with multiple video tracks in one stream

Post by Woodstock »

Mike will have to provide the definitive answer on this, but... In the case of DVD multi-angle, MakeMKV will offer to make a separate MKV file for each angle found. It will only select for ripping the one it thinks is the main stream.

In the case of BD, I have not seen "multi-angle" show up in a description, but I suspect that is because the play lists takes care of listing which tracks out of the raw transport stream are part of a particular title. This is why a a single M2TS file can have a play list versions that have a different collection of audio/subtitle tracks. I had not considered that this would also extend to different video tracks.

When I've asked MakeMKV to rip a transport stream instead of a play list, the result was often missing things like subtitles and chapters, I suspect that the default behavior is to rip by play list; So all track selection would be according to what the play list defines. In which case, the play list that uses the secondary video track would show up as a separate title to rip.

What did the debug log say?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Southrop wrote:I believe this is also known as Multi-Angle
I do not believe what you are seeing is a multi-angle video. The resolution is wrong. Multi-angle resolution videos would all be the same, i.e., 1920x1080. The 720x480 indicates to me that this is a picture-in-picture video.
Southrop

Post by Southrop »

MrVideo wrote:
Southrop wrote:I believe this is also known as Multi-Angle
I do not believe what you are seeing is a multi-angle video. The resolution is wrong. Multi-angle resolution videos would all be the same, i.e., 1920x1080. The 720x480 indicates to me that this is a picture-in-picture video.
Oh yes PIP, that would be the term. When I play it in a proper BD player or VLC, it does display the second video overlaid on the original video rather than switching video track. Thanks for the correction. Here's a screenshot of it playing in VLC.

Woodstock wrote:Mike will have to provide the definitive answer on this, but... In the case of DVD multi-angle, MakeMKV will offer to make a separate MKV file for each angle found. It will only select for ripping the one it thinks is the main stream.

In the case of BD, I have not seen "multi-angle" show up in a description, but I suspect that is because the play lists takes care of listing which tracks out of the raw transport stream are part of a particular title. This is why a a single M2TS file can have a play list versions that have a different collection of audio/subtitle tracks. I had not considered that this would also extend to different video tracks.

When I've asked MakeMKV to rip a transport stream instead of a play list, the result was often missing things like subtitles and chapters, I suspect that the default behavior is to rip by play list; So all track selection would be according to what the play list defines. In which case, the play list that uses the secondary video track would show up as a separate title to rip.

What did the debug log say?
Yeah playlist is definitely the way to go, and I use usually rip the playlist to retain things like chapters too. I think given that it's a PIP video (not multi-angle after all), there is likely some toggle that needs to be set to make the second video channel play. I guess this would be done using BD-J or something.

In this case, I'm not looking to playback the video or rip it in a single media file; I am actually seeking something like the behaviour you described for DVD multi-angle. It would be nice if there was an option to rip every video track, not just the primary one.

re: debug log, I haven't ripped the BD with debug enabled but this is what it says when it's gathering titles:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Sun Oct 23 23:16:31 2016 , written by MakeMKV v1.10.2 win(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.10.2 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\south/MakeMKV_log.txt
003007:0000 Using direct disc access mode
005050:0000 Evaluation version, 24 day(s) out of 30 remaining
DEBUG: Code 2147483648 at 0u9(N<b_y+%!2_CG:121265315
DAFD=PAAAADAAAAEABDQkEGwEBAQ==
DCE=8s3CG2LYNC280x9ujFivx7iOXyPlarkRitI8mJeP556FdYkQa53NMvNooPFG7EMFEcP6Vm/XuA7ZvanQDzJL75RQCkgVkW85jJDFYJpbAQeUq7qDDej1Lz70dkP4yYGp2SaLCJKP5BDEPOqB4ru2lHI1on04JdWOFQ==
DCE=Bink/GmzVqMOyN8uonCd8nEWVMzNeChfZwJuoyp17dHly4oWbJrcioU5Pb5sDti0tfWe/Q3RxEph72EfQ1qA/YXr0eUjTZFIyKzRxA2qIAG9kEVXfZwYDGS0JZvtlzj2MdO7C753UXNQi2D7AF8MP6QQ5gSBAc1ipg==
005085:0000 Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
DISCID=320E528CE560B05F73AC5CEDC7D025A61EBD3238
003307:0000 File 00001.mpls was added as title #0
003307:0000 File 00002.m2ts was added as title #1
003307:0000 File 00001.m2ts was added as title #2
003307:0000 File 00000.m2ts was added as title #3
003307:0000 File 00006.m2ts was added as title #4
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 233 at dHwv64dIR0ZCDTHAgEU2G/M0:0
005011:0000 Operation successfully completed
I have minimum length set to 0 to make sure i capture everything here. There are actually four playlist files in the PLAYLISTS folder, and six m2ts files in the STREAM folder, of which 2 don't seem to be renderable.