Feature Request - AC3

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkvwatcher

Feature Request - AC3

Post by mkvwatcher »

Most of the time, I like to watch movies without having to turn on my stereo system. The WD TV Live is the player, and the sound comes out of my TV speakers. Since my TV can't decode DTS, I have to run something like eac3to to create a secondary AC3 audio track which is a time-consuming process. It would be great if MakeMKV had an option to create a secondary AC3 sound track.

Right now, I use ANYDVD + clownBD + MKVmerge. If this feature is included in the MakeMKV, I would throw out everything and use MakeMKV. Any possibility of this happening in near future?

Thanks,
MilesAhead

Re: Feature Request - AC3

Post by MilesAhead »

I have Gen1 WD HDTV player, not live. Is there a Gen1 and Gen2 for Live also? I had the impression everything but my WD had a DTS downmix setting. I've been using Popcorn audio converter to create an .mkv with AC3 sound.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

MakeMKV only copies what it sees, meaning it only does a 1:1 copy. So Doing what you ask would

A: out of the Question, as it defeats the idea behind what MakeMKV is
B: still take just as much time as what your doing now as it would still need to cover from DTS to AC3.
C: Going from DTS to AC3 there is a HUGE quality loss. IMHO I'd go for a HQ MP3 track as an add-on secondary instead of a AC3. The quality in stereo will be the same. But the encoding time and size will be way less.
mkvwatcher

Post by mkvwatcher »

I purchased AnyDVD with lifetime update option. I suspect many people backing up BD's have done so also. If I wanted 1:1 copy, AnyDVD works fine.

MakeMKV is appealing because it does not do 1:1 copy. I can leave out foreign language tracks, subtitles, HD audio, etc. So what I am suggesting is to include another useful option of creating a secondary audio track would make this program that much better.

I would not pay for another back-up program unless it had a distingushing feature.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

I can see your confusion with my statement about "1:1 copy". Yes MakeMKV only does a "1:1 copy", but it's on per stream. MakeMKV does not encode,re-encode,change or anything from it's original source. It only extracts the wanted info and places it into a MKV container.

From the website: http://www.makemkv.com/
It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way.
And besides like I said, MakeMKV would need to do the SAME thing your already doing to make the said "ac3" stream. If said stream doesn't already exists on the Bluray in question.

Updated:

I'm not sure what your trying to achieve here with MakeMKV, if you had already bought AnyDVD HD. Then you could have simply just used eac3to extract the wanted streams. And then just put them into a MKV or even just used TSmuxer to extract the streams and put them into either (M2)TS or each into there own file somewhere.

MakeMKV is wonderful for anyone not wanting to get into having AnyDVD installed on there systems or even as a addon to AnyDVD for simple few click backup to MKV. But they really do almost the same things in completely different ways.