Audio stream names is always "Undefined" at playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
PierreLo

Audio stream names is always "Undefined" at playback

Post by PierreLo »

Hi Mike,

First, congrats and thanks for this app, ths is THE solution I was looking for to rip my collections and use them afterwards with the great MediaBrowser software.

Now, a small glitch : all the DVDs I rip will produce mkvs with audio streams with "Undefined language. Same goes for subtitles streams.

For example, being French, I always rip movies with audio in original version (let's say English most of the time) and French subs.
I select the streams in MakeMKV interface, generate the MKV fine, all my streams are here, they work fine, but all appear as "Undefined" instead of "English" and "French".
Yesterday I ripped movie "Lilo & Stitch", and wanted to rip english trak as well as French track.
When playing back the final MKV, both tracks are referenced as "Undefined".
So when I play the movie with eitherZoomPlayer of VIsta internal player, if I wan to select the audio stream, I have to try both until I find the good one.
I use the nice plugin called MediaCOntrol, that allows to to switch mkv streams on the fly when playing back in Vista, and it only indicated that stream 1 is Undefined lqnguqge and stream 2 is Undefined language too.

And this is for ALL movies I have ripped so far.
Now if I run Avi-mux gui on MakeMKV resulting files, and change manually audio streams codes to ENG and subs to FRE, and remux all, then it works fine.
So it seems makeMKV does not write correctly the stream names in the mkv headers.

Can you help on this ?

Thanks

PierreLo 8)
Sabine

Re: Audio stream names is always "Undefined" at playback

Post by Sabine »

Hello,

same thing here. Media Player Home Cinema shows all audio and subtitle tracks without any language information. When opening the same movie in mkvmerge GUI only the video track has the language correctly set (always english?). All other tracks show just nothing and not even undefined.

Sabine
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Pierrelo, Sabine,

Sounds very strange, please send me Ifo files from that disc on mike.chen82@googlemail.com - it would really help to understand what's going on.

Thank you!
PierreLo

Post by PierreLo »

Thanks Mike for your help.

I will send you a few of these ifos tonight when I am home.
Anyway, you should know this happened for ALL my rips so far.

PierreLo 8)
tyborg

Post by tyborg »

Every single one of my DVD rips also comes with "undetermined" for the audio and subtitles. I know that MakeMKV has determined the correct language because it is shown in the GUI when I deselect different audio and subtitle tracks. The language name just doesn't transfer to the finished MKV as they all show "undetermined"
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Mike,

as Pierre and tyborg said, this happened to all my dvd rips, too. Do you set the track language according to the ISO 639-2 with 3 characters? This seems to be the way mkvtoolnix or the Matroska Shell Extension do it.

Sabine
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Sabine wrote:Mike,

as Pierre and tyborg said, this happened to all my dvd rips, too. Do you set the track language according to the ISO 639-2 with 3 characters? This seems to be the way mkvtoolnix or the Matroska Shell Extension do it.

Sabine
Hi gyus,

Now we understand the problem. Dvd uses 2-digits codes and this is how we put it in the mkv file. That is the problem. We'll do something about it, thank you for your help! BTW VLC shows everything fine.
tyborg

Post by tyborg »

Wow VLC does show it correct during playback. Looking forward to the fix in the future, this is really some great ripping software you've got here. Keep up the good work.
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

mike admin wrote:Hi gyus,

Now we understand the problem. Dvd uses 2-digits codes and this is how we put it in the mkv file. That is the problem. We'll do something about it, thank you for your help! BTW VLC shows everything fine.
Mike,

hope you meant "girls and guys" :D

But if this helps fixing the error I'll forgive the little fauxpas ;)

Sabine
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Sorry, Sabine:-))
tyborg

Post by tyborg »

Just confirming this is fixed in the latest release. Thanks, getting closer and closer to my perfect ripping app.