Atmos Sound Tracks and UHD BDs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Darren Heal

Atmos Sound Tracks and UHD BDs?

Post by Darren Heal »

I've been using MakeMKV quite successfully to rip my back catalogue of 5.1 DVDs and 7.1 BDs to hard disk. Although I've had a few discs that won't rip I suspect this is down too bad discs rather than the software. Maybe some sort of "chunk" skipping routine in MakeMKV to skip over bad data images on the disc that a regular DVDP or BDP just skips might help, but that's another question.

Now I'm pondering what to do about Atmos BDs and after Xmas what to do with UHD (4K) BDs.

So the first question I have is whether or not it's possible to handle Atmos BDs by just ripping the raw or bitstream audio tracks without further processing using MakeMKV and then let my AV receiver handle decoding them?

The second question is whether or not Make MKV will handle UHD (4K) BDs?

Playback is via an i5 CPU / 16 gigs of RAM HTPC with an Nvidia GEForce GTX950 graphics card (which can be upgraded if required), running Windows 10 Pro, and using Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 as my playback software. The receiver is a Marantz 7010 hooked up to a 7.2.4 speaker setup and a Samsung 6-series 4K TV. I use Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cables throughout.
Woodstock

Re: Atmos Sound Tracks and UHD BDs?

Post by Woodstock »

To my knowledge, no one can rip 4K BDs yet. Drives that support them are few, and the AACS2 encryption has not been broken yet.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Darren Heal

Post by Darren Heal »

Is AACS2 Atmos? Forgive my ignorance....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

AACS2 is the encryption used on UHD Bluray, also known as "4K".

I've seen discussions about Dolby Atmos here on the forum, but have not paid attention to them. It's not a format any of my equipment would be able to take advantage of, so it is one of those "whoosh" topics for me.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ringrosa

Post by ringrosa »

I have a BD drive that can see the file structure I cant play the movie yet im still waiting for my LG 4k monitor to arrive. Also im pretty sure someone has figured out how to break the encryption. I have a usenet account and i have found a few UHD movies that have been ripped and converted into MKV files 60GB+files. I have been searching for a few days now on how to do it myself to backup the one one UHD movie that I have. my BD Drive is a LG WH16NS40 bought it on amazon. from what i read on all the fourms is that the drive has to be manufactured in 2015 and later to work, my drive was manufactured in aug 2016
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

ringrosa wrote:I have a usenet account and i have found a few UHD movies that have been ripped and converted into MKV files 60GB+files. I have been searching for a few days now on how to do it myself to backup the one one UHD movie that I have.
Sorry, but you will not be able to back up any UHD releases yet. What you've found on the net were 4K movies streamed from services like Netflix.
Darren Heal

Post by Darren Heal »

If i use MakeMKV to "back up" regular 1080p Atmos BDs, does the Atmos soundtract get "backed up" too?
captin

Post by captin »

Darren Heal wrote:If i use MakeMKV to "back up" regular 1080p Atmos BDs, does the Atmos soundtract get "backed up" too?
Yes it does, I have many, they work fine, also DTS:X, not sure about the third format Auro 3D as my amplifier doesn't decode that one.

It was added here:
MakeMKV v1.8.14 ( 21.10.2014 )
Added support for Dolby Atmos audio streams

I had to re-rip one movie.
Darren Heal

Post by Darren Heal »

Understood.

I have to "back up" my Atmos movies, not rip them.

On it now...
captin

Post by captin »

Darren Heal wrote:Understood.

I have to "back up" my Atmos movies, not rip them.

On it now...
Back up or an ordinary rip, both work fine since 1.8.14, for a rip you need to select the truehd audio track as the atmos is embedded in there, probably that's obvious.

Andre
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

I'm looking forward to ripping. I just put in Deadpool 4K and the player makes a racket compared to streaming.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

boe_d wrote:I'm looking forward to ripping. I just put in Deadpool 4K and the player makes a racket compared to streaming.
Just to be clear...you're not trying to rip or back up Deadpool 4K are you? If yes, neither MakeMKV nor any other ripping software can crack the encryption and rip/back up a UHD disc at this time.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

yorgo wrote:Just to be clear...you're not trying to rip or back up Deadpool 4K are you? If yes, neither MakeMKV nor any other ripping software can crack the encryption and rip/back up a UHD disc at this time.
Not only that, but a normal Blu-ray ROM drive will not read a UHD 4K disc.