Ash vs Evil Dead: No Commentary Track

Everything related to MakeMKV
GoremanX

Ash vs Evil Dead: No Commentary Track

Post by GoremanX »

I recently bought Ash vs Evil Dead Season 1 on Bluray, and yesterday I tried ripping it to put it on my Plex server. It seemed to work well, except there's no audio commentary track. I've got English, Spanish and french, and even all the closed captions, but no commentary in sight.

When playing the disc in a player, the audio commentary is started with a different menu item in the disc menu, it's not a selectable track while each episode is playing. But MakeMKV only shows me the 6 regular menu selections (5 separate episodes plus the "Play All" option).

Am I doing something wrong?
Woodstock

Re: Ash vs Evil Dead: No Commentary Track

Post by Woodstock »

Depending upon how the disk was authored, there can be a different title (play list) that incorporates the audio commentary track. If you did not select that title, you won't see the track.

This is why my usual method of doing things is to have MakeMKV rip everything longer than 30 seconds, unless I know a particular title is just a combination of all the episodes on the disk. It finds those "special" titles that have additional tracks. Sometimes they are longer or shorter than a regular episode.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

Doesn't seem to change anything. I changed the minimum title time to 1 second, which revealed a bunch of useless stuff (menu animations, etc). But I still can't find the commentary track for the files I've ripped.
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

I just bought the Ash vs Evil Dead boxed set and experienced the exact same problem.

Here is what I found.

Each episode has 5 Chapters.

Chapter #5 in each episode lasts about 2 Minutes 20 Seconds and is nothing but a black screen. This black screen doesn't even let you fast forward to watch it. This chapter is just "there" for some reason. I originally thought a solution to eliminating this black screen chapter #5 from each episode is to make it so only items more than 2 Minutes 20 Seconds would be ripped. Unfortunately, this is not a valid solution, because Chapter #4 in each episode contains the credits and is only about 1 Minute long.

You can rip each episode separately. When you do this, you don't end up with "No Audio." Instead, you end up with the unusual black screen at the end of each episode as Chapter 5.

You can also rip all of the episodes on that disc into one long series of episodes that play in the correct order. When you do this, the empty Chapter #5 black screens do not appear. Unfortunately, the problem is there is an empty audio streak that lasts about 2 Minutes 20 Seconds each time would have been a Chapter #5 if the episodes had been ripped separately.

If anyone has a solution, I would be very thankful. I am not interested in having all the episodes in one large file like that. I personally like to have the episodes as separate files, so then I can label the episodes as Season 1 Episode 1, and then name the episode. But, I don't want to have dumb black screens at the end of each episode.
ranger

Post by ranger »

I stumbled across this because I had the same problem.
I have used MKVToolnix. To do this, select "Output" Split mode "Before chapters". At Chapter numbers write 5 into it.
Then just press Start muliplexing.
After that there is no more black screen at the end.