audio support + raw h264 output

Everything related to MakeMKV
mm591298

audio support + raw h264 output

Post by mm591298 »

First of all, thank you for this wonderful program. I have Windows XP x64 and I was able to extact the video from the BD disc. Unfortunately XP does not have the UDF2.5 file system drivers, the Toshiba driver only works on x86 systems and AnyDVD just refused to work.

I would like to point out a few things that could be improved upon:
- LPCM audio is not supported
- could you add support to output raw H264 data? or even better, output as an AVI file containing H264 data. This way I wouldn't have to extract the video from the MKV file just to create an AVI file. Some people say that "H264should not be put in AVI" and stuff, but it has its uses.
- when I click on the "start reading the disc" button, it would be nice if the program remembered the last used output folder (now it selects a random folder - N:\Video\<title of disc> - I don't know if it scans the hard disk volumes to check which volume has enough free space)
- it would be nice to be able to invoke the program with command-line arguments (could be used in batch files)
- contrary to what the documentation says, you don't need administrator rights to read the disc (I mounted an ISO file in Daemon tools though, so this may or may not apply to real drives)

And again, thank you for your work.
mike admin

Re: audio support + raw h264 output

Post by mike admin »

mm591298 wrote:First of all, thank you for this wonderful program. I have Windows XP x64 and I was able to extact the video from the BD disc. Unfortunately XP does not have the UDF2.5 file system drivers, the Toshiba driver only works on x86 systems and AnyDVD just refused to work.
Thank you for the warm words!
I would like to point out a few things that could be improved upon:
- LPCM audio is not supported
It would be supported in the future.
- could you add support to output raw H264 data? or even better, output as an AVI file containing H264 data. This way I wouldn't have to extract the video from the MKV file just to create an AVI file. Some people say that "H264should not be put in AVI" and stuff, but it has its uses.
We are not planning to support it, sorry. But you could always convert mkv into avi using Avi-Mux Gui http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/
- when I click on the "start reading the disc" button, it would be nice if the program remembered the last used output folder (now it selects a random folder - N:\Video\<title of disc> - I don't know if it scans the hard disk volumes to check which volume has enough free space)
The programm doesn't remember the last used folder but you could select "custom" destination in Preferences, I hope this would help.
- it would be nice to be able to invoke the program with command-line arguments (could be used in batch files)
We already have this functionality, you could use not makemkv.exe (GUI) but makemkvcon.exe (console).
- contrary to what the documentation says, you don't need administrator rights to read the disc (I mounted an ISO file in Daemon tools though, so this may or may not apply to real drives)
BTW, the program could open iso files without Daemon tools, just use Open files option in file menu.