Previously used AnyDVD and created .ISO file

Everything related to MakeMKV
slick

Previously used AnyDVD and created .ISO file

Post by slick »

Now trying out MakeMKV and when I try to convert the AnyDVD created .ISO to a MKV with this program I get a warning that '3rd party software/SlyFox should be disabled as the copy could be corrupted' (or something like that). Removed SlyFox, which was a trial version, from the computer but is still gives me the same warning flag with it gone. I use their Virtual Clone Drive to mount the .ISO file but am guessing the fact that when the AnyDVD program created the .ISO to HDD it probably embedded info that Make MKV sees as 'still running'. The video copy playback on VLC Player had a couple stalls in it and near the end just went black and locked-up the computer.
Thoughts? Thanks
yorgo

Re: Previously used AnyDVD and created .ISO file

Post by yorgo »

Can't speak to why the warning stays after you've removed AnyDVD but I use both AnyDVD and MakeMKV. Yes, the "it is highly recommended you disable AnyDVD and restart the program" warning pops up but I ignore it (press "yes" to continue). You can do the same with no ill effect.
slick

Post by slick »

yorgo wrote:Can't speak to why the warning stays after you've removed AnyDVD but I use both AnyDVD and MakeMKV. Yes, the "it is highly recommended you disable AnyDVD and restart the program" warning pops up but I ignore it (press "yes" to continue). You can do the same with no ill effect.
Thanks YORGO for the response. The .iso I spoke of plays well (as-was). Ignoring the MakeMKV warning I continued to make the MKV and the results were broken and finally locked when they were played. At least in this instance the warning must have been valid. :?
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Interesting...can't imagine why this would be happening unless the file has something in it MakeMKV doesn't like or is somehow corrupted (but still playable as an .iso).
slick

Post by slick »

Mayhaps the Administration/developer could weigh-in on this?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

You don't mention whether the original media was DVD, or Blu-Ray, but I'll wager it was a DVD & you created the .iso directly via AnyDVD. IF this is the case, it is recommended (by Frank, the RedFox dev) that when processing DVDs, you rip the DVD folder structure to HDD & then convert to .iso using a tool like ImageBurn, or directly with CloneDVD2. AnyDVD cannot remove 'structural' protection 'on the fly', so any .iso created directly still includes it. That's probably what MakeMKV is kvetching about. The only solution to this is re-ripping the original media. It's an often repeated discussion on the RedFox forum.

AnyDVD CAN process Blu-Rays directly to .iso as they don't use 'structural' protection (IIRC).
slick

Post by slick »

d00zah wrote:You don't mention whether the original media was DVD, or Blu-Ray, but I'll wager it was a DVD & you created the .iso directly via AnyDVD. IF this is the case, it is recommended (by Frank, the RedFox dev) that when processing DVDs, you rip the DVD folder structure to HDD & then convert to .iso using a tool like ImageBurn, or directly with CloneDVD2. AnyDVD cannot remove 'structural' protection 'on the fly', so any .iso created directly still includes it. That's probably what MakeMKV is kvetching about. The only solution to this is re-ripping the original media. It's an often repeated discussion on the RedFox forum.

AnyDVD CAN process Blu-Rays directly to .iso as they don't use 'structural' protection (IIRC).
You would WIN the wager... EXACTLY what was done. When first introduced to AnyDVD the friend always used the .ISO version, so I assumed it was the way it should go so I just ignored the popup. Time has the ability to make one wiser :|
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Now, all that said, I made the same mistake early on with a small portion of my library, only I burned them to 'plastic' after creating the .isos. Since then, I've converted those using MakeMKV to store on a NAS. It was an evolution.

I don't recall having playback issues (for the most part) with the resulting .mkvs. Have you tried any other players? I would recommend trying something other than VLC (I've never tried it). I use MPC-BE (Shark007's roll-up w/ madVR) & though it takes a while to research/tweak, everything plays quite well. Worth a shot?
slick

Post by slick »

d00zah wrote:Now, all that said, I made the same mistake early on with a small portion of my library, only I burned them to 'plastic' after creating the .isos. Since then, I've converted those using MakeMKV to store on a NAS. It was an evolution.

I don't recall having playback issues (for the most part) with the resulting .mkvs. Have you tried any other players? I would recommend trying something other than VLC (I've never tried it). I use MPC-BE (Shark007's roll-up w/ madVR) & though it takes a while to research/tweak, everything plays quite well. Worth a shot?
Purchased Corel WIN DVD PRO years ago and rattle between that and VLC player. MCP-BE is new to me.. will check it out.
I found the work-around of first burning the ISO to plastic works also.
Thanks
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Media Player Classic - Black Edition, a fork of MPC-HC. Shark007 chose this version to cfg to work with his codecs, which I already used.
slick

Post by slick »

d00zah wrote:Media Player Classic - Black Edition, a fork of MPC-HC. Shark007 chose this version to cfg to work with his codecs, which I already used.
Does this allow direct play of .ISO videos without mounting on a virtual drive? And, where can Shark007 codec you refer to be downloaded without risk of malware?
Thanks again, Sir
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Good question. I have Daemon Tools installed & when I select an.iso from MPC-BE's 'File' menu, it opens & plays. However, it also appears to be mounted in the virtual drive. Not willing to uninstall DTools to see if it's a requirement, or not.

But we're here in the MakeMKV forum & MPC-BE plays .mkvs just fine... but begs the question... have you mounted any of these problem .isos in a virtual drive to see how MakeMKV handles them then? Just a thought.

Shark007 page is here: http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

which directs you to MajorGeeks for download. I've never had an issue with malware, but always read install prompts for BS options!

Tools (MPC-BE roll-ups @ bottom of page): http://shark007.net/tools.html

Be aware that you may spend some time 'googling' optimal settings, etc. to get things the way you want them. It's a tweaker's media player.
slick

Post by slick »

I have to admit that 'this is above my pay grade' :oops:

I am a chronic "Curious George" and downloaded both MPC-BE and Shark007 standard. Let Shark do it's thing and left settings as it wanted them. Interesting player, so I'm going to use it for awhile at least. Damned if I have even the foggiest what the Shark007 codec is doing in the meantime :lol:
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

The question OUGHT TO BE... does it play any of the problem movie files any better than VLC?

As to the codecs, they allow you to decode (play) various audio/video streams which are not handled natively by the OS (rolled into VLC, IIRC).
slick

Post by slick »

d00zah wrote:The question OUGHT TO BE... does it play any of the problem movie files any better than VLC?

As to the codecs, they allow you to decode (play) various audio/video streams which are not handled natively by the OS (rolled into VLC, IIRC).
Unfortunately I deleted the .ISO copy of the movie which provoked this thread and re-did it to MKV. So, I will have to work with the MPC-BE for awhile to be able to respond. Will advise you down the line if I hit any more speed-bumps..
Thanks