no HD-DVDs working

Everything related to MakeMKV
andy.hddvd

no HD-DVDs working

Post by andy.hddvd »

hi,

since the upgrade to windows 10, none of my hd-dvds work in total media 6 - i get audio issues - but they do play. it's also a flaky bit of software in win10 that is no longer supported.

so i thought about using makemkv to make copies of these hd-dvds and play them that way.

i'm on the 30 day trial, and makemkv is failing on all hd-dvds i've tried so far.

i've got anydvd hd installed, so that bit is not the problem.

it will start processing a disc and not get very far. things just stop. the drive shuts down, the app keeps thinking it's processing but goes on forever.

no errors reported.

here's one example log:

Born on the Fourth of July - HD-DVD - Region A

MakeMKV v1.10.4 win(x64-release) started
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Title #BLACK.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #UNILOGO.EVO has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELOGO.EVO has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SCREENSAVER.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MAIN_INTRO.EVO has length of 67 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MAIN_LOOP.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

and then nothing. the estimated time keeps increasing. the drive shuts down.

happens on every disc.

i was told makemkv should work with hd-dvds.

can you help ?

thanks
yorgo

Re: no HD-DVDs working

Post by yorgo »

Please see this thread for possible help: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... =4&t=15681. Also, I read elsewhere that 1.9.7 may work. I have no HD-DVDs to test, just googled and came up with these.
andy.hddvd

Post by andy.hddvd »

thanks yorgo. much appreciated.

so the jist is the latest version has broken hd-dvd. excellent.

not a way to get peoples $$$.

hopefully the developer will make an appearance at some point; although i see they last posted 1st feb. it's not looking promising.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Why not try the older version in the interim?

/download/old/
andy.hddvd

Post by andy.hddvd »

thanks d00zah.

i read 1.9.9 seems to be the sweet spot; unfortunately i don't have the register key so can't run it.

i think only the latest version has the 30 day trial.

this is why i hate updates. always break stuff.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I've only once had to go back to an earlier revision, a loooooong time ago, and if my memory is correct, the "beta" key was valid. Give it a try (no harm in it, right?) but keep in mind that once you've finished with your HD-DVD's, you'll want to revert to the latest version so that you can decrypt BD's and DVD's with newer copy protection.
andy.hddvd

Post by andy.hddvd »

that seems to work. i'm ripping an HD-DVD now.

thank you yorgo ! you're a star !

come on developer, fix this !!!