Have a TV Episode DVD which shows as one file in MakeMKV.

Everything related to MakeMKV
tonyaldr

Have a TV Episode DVD which shows as one file in MakeMKV.

Post by tonyaldr »

Hi everyone. I have a TV Episode DVD that shows all 20 episodes as a single title with 20 chapters and MakeMKV wants to create a single MKV file. I've read about being able to open it in "manual" mode but can't find how to do that. Has anyone done this? Appreciate some advice. Thx!
Woodstock

Re: Have a TV Episode DVD which shows as one file in MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

/manualdvd/

That's the manual mode you've heard about, but... There are other ways to break up the file AFTER MakeMKV writes it.

If you want to stick with MKV files after the rip, mkvtoolnix has a tool called mkvmerge that can write a files with one or more chapters in them. You can also use handbrake (from handbrake.fr) to compress the video and write either MKV or MP4 files that a wider number of playback devices will handle.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tonyaldr

Post by tonyaldr »

Thx for the info. Since posting I've learned that the chapters actually do NOT separate the episodes. So I guess I'll need a tool that will allow me to open the single large MKV and place markers/dividers to export the segments as separate files. Sheesh! Talk about complications!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake will work for that, because you can specify what to convert by time. The one thing you have to be careful of is that handbrake whats the time as, "When does it start, and how many seconds should I encode?" Most people think it wants "from what time to what time?"

I'm not sure if mkvmerge will work that way; I haven't tried it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tonyaldr

Post by tonyaldr »

Thx! Actually I was able to do it with MKVToolNix GUI! I play the exported large MKV in VLC and step forward by Chapters until I find the beginning of each episode and record the timecodes. A little time consuming but it works perfectly! Thx to everyone for the advice and tips!
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

tonyaldr wrote:Thx! Actually I was able to do it with MKVToolNix GUI! I play the exported large MKV in VLC and step forward by Chapters until I find the beginning of each episode and record the timecodes. A little time consuming but it works perfectly! Thx to everyone for the advice and tips!
You don't need the timecodes. Just split them by the chapter numbers where they begin. Much easier.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

angelgraves13 wrote:
tonyaldr wrote:Thx! Actually I was able to do it with MKVToolNix GUI! I play the exported large MKV in VLC and step forward by Chapters until I find the beginning of each episode and record the timecodes. A little time consuming but it works perfectly! Thx to everyone for the advice and tips!
You don't need the timecodes. Just split them by the chapter numbers where they begin. Much easier.
It seems he does need to do that:
tonyaldr wrote:Thx for the info. Since posting I've learned that the chapters actually do NOT separate the episodes. So I guess I'll need a tool that will allow me to open the single large MKV and place markers/dividers to export the segments as separate files. Sheesh! Talk about complications!
SC