Ripping DTS-HD 7.1 results in 5.1 channels

Everything related to MakeMKV
the_wallcrawler

Ripping DTS-HD 7.1 results in 5.1 channels

Post by the_wallcrawler »

Ok, so I searched and read a number of threads on this topic but nothing seemed definitive. Apologies if there is a straight answer and I missed it.

The situation is this. I am using the latest paid Mac version. I attempt to create MKV or MP4 files including the DTS-HD 7.1 audio track and the resulting file only includes 5.1 channels. I've confirmed this in the resulting file using programs like Media-Info. It will state only 6 total channels. My process is always to include the 7.1 HD track as well as the 5.1 DTS track. Ultimately I take these to Handbrake and passthrough both tracks. But again, I'm checking and seeing only 6 tracks before Handbrake even gets in the mix.

Now, I know the FLAC advanced option exists. And I've done some test with that and it will in fact output an 8 channel file. I have a current Integra ATMOS receiver so I'm sure it would handle these FLAC based files just fine. I'm just trying to understand why the "normal" 7.1 rip with DTS codecs will not work. Is there some other preference I am missing? Is this a straight up bug in the Mac version?

I have a 5.1.2 system, so honestly I don't need 7.1 but 1.) I want to future proof myself a little bit and 2.) This is now bugging the hell out of me.

Help?
trumpet205

Re: Ripping DTS-HD 7.1 results in 5.1 channels

Post by trumpet205 »

What disc is this? Post a picture when you open up the disc using MakeMKV.

Just check the box for 7.1 track and use Default profile in MakeMKV. No need to check the 5.1 box.
the_wallcrawler

trumpet205 wrote:What disc is this? Post a picture when you open up the disc using MakeMKV.

Just check the box for 7.1 track and use Default profile in MakeMKV. No need to check the 5.1 box.
This happens with every single disc. I'll try with just the 7.1 track and not also the 5.1.
the_wallcrawler

Selecting just 7.1 still results in only 5.1. The second image is the file properties per MediaInfo program; you can see there are only 6 channels included instead of the 8 it should have.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

https://sourceforge.net/p/mediainfo/bugs/980/

"MediaInfo 0.7.82 does not display Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Tracks correctly. It displays them as 5.1 channels although they actually contain 8 channels."

This year-old bug is listed as "accepted", but not fixed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
the_wallcrawler

Hmm. Thanks for that research. I downloaded two other media analyzing programs and they also state 6 channels. Although this one is kind of confusing. This comes from a program called Invisor. This is the same Rogue One file as above. Selection in MakeMKV was only the 7.1 track. It seems to say it has both 8 and 6 channels. FWIW, VLC thinks its 5.1.

I'll see if there are any other analyzing options.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

VLC has issues with DTS, as I recall.

It looks like it's reporting an 8-channel "MA" track with 6-channel "Core", which I think is correct - if you play a 7.1 track on a device that only understands 5.1 channels, it is supposed to treat it as just the 5.1 channel core audio.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
the_wallcrawler

Woodstock wrote:VLC has issues with DTS, as I recall.

It looks like it's reporting an 8-channel "MA" track with 6-channel "Core", which I think is correct - if you play a 7.1 track on a device that only understands 5.1 channels, it is supposed to treat it as just the 5.1 channel core audio.
I want to believe. But another thing that has me doubting is that when I open in Handbrake, all audio tracks only show as 5.1

Like I said, I don't have a 7.1 set up so whatever. But I do have a 5.1.2 Atmos; trying out TrueHD Atmos now.
the_wallcrawler

TrueHD 7.1/Atmos seems to come out just fine. Media inspection programs show all channels, Handbrake recognizes the track as 7.1.
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

Your program is not able to decode the DTS-HD MA stream, so it only lists the DTS "core" 1509 KB stream. VLC is a terrible program on any platform.

Case solved.