Will be a great program!

Everything related to MakeMKV
TopGun2010

Will be a great program!

Post by TopGun2010 »

Great program, this will be a hit when it’s error free! Hopefully it will have a maximum price of USD 25.

I have three complains. First, it should be nice if you can select audio and subtitles stream for both DVD and Blu-ray disc and files on hard drive. Second, I use a Popcorn Hour A-110 for playing media files, it can’t use the subtitle structure: gives the next error: subtitle format not recognized. Third, it would be nice if you can set a compress mode for making a smaller MKV file.

Thanks for working on this program!! Hopefully it will be as great as DVD Shrink. :D
mike admin

Re: Will be a great program!

Post by mike admin »

Hi TopGun,
TopGun2010 wrote:Great program, this will be a hit when it’s error free! Hopefully it will have a maximum price of USD 25.
First of all-thank you!
I have three complains. First, it should be nice if you can select audio and subtitles stream for both DVD and Blu-ray disc and files on hard drive.
I'm not sure whether I understand what you mean, sorry. You could always select audio and subtitles track in every title by expanding it and choosing the ones you need.
Second, I use a Popcorn Hour A-110 for playing media files, it can’t use the subtitle structure: gives the next error: subtitle format not recognized.
Do you have this problem with DVD or BluRay? If it's DVD it's very strange- it should work. The format of BluRay subtitles is new, so it may happen that Popcorn doesn't support it yet.
Third, it would be nice if you can set a compress mode for making a smaller MKV file.
MakeMKV does not change audio/video data during conversion at all. Soit is impossible to change output size since it is determined by input size. But you could always re-encode MKV with different parameters and there are many free tools to do it.

Thank you!
TopGun2010

Post by TopGun2010 »

Hi Mike,

Do you have this problem with DVD or BluRay? If it's DVD it's very strange- it should work. The format of BluRay subtitles is new, so it may happen that Popcorn doesn't support it yet.

-with blu-ray, i have not tested with dvd, i will do this.

Third, it would be nice if you can set a compress mode for making a smaller MKV file.

MakeMKV does not change audio/video data during conversion at all. Soit is impossible to change output size since it is determined by input size. But you could always re-encode MKV with different parameters and there are many free tools to do it.

-OK, thanks for your help.

TopGun2010

Private messageWebsite
TopGun2010

Post by TopGun2010 »

Hi Mike,

Also with DVD, Popcorn Hour A-110 displays: Subtitle Format Not Supported

Maybe with new firmware (this month) it works.

Greetings
doubledrat

Post by doubledrat »

I've just downloaded the latest version and I too have this problem with the popcorn hour A100. "Subtitle Format Not Supported"

any idea why?
ChinaJade

Post by ChinaJade »

@TopGun2010
Your second issue...
The PGS subtitle format of BluRays is indeed currently not supported by the Popcorn 1xx family (as of firmware version 01-17-090204-15-POP-403-000, the latest as of this writing).

The problem with subtitles on BluRays lies with the Popcorn units, and not with MakeMKV.

cheers,
CJ
kryzchek

Post by kryzchek »

The Popcorn Hour has never supported VOBSUB/IDX subtitles embedded within an MKV. This is a well known and not related to MakeMKV.
Bling2Ming

Post by Bling2Ming »

mkvextract (a part of the mkvtoolnix suite) will pull embeded vobsub/idx files out of the mkv container in less than 2 minutes on my machine. I don't know about the popcorn-hour but my WD-TV reads the extracted external vobsub files perfectly.

The syntax for extracting vobsub subtitles with mkvextract (assuming subs are the 3rd track) is below.

Code: Select all

mkvextract tracks your-movie.mkv 3:your-movie.sub
This will extract two files:- your-movie.idx and your-movie.sub

As long as the filenames are the same as the movie name the WD-TV sees the subs and displays them fine.

Note: It's easy to acertain the track number with Mediainfo

There is a GUI for mkvextract available but I've never needed it. you can get that here. http://coreforge.org/projects/mkvextractgui/
doubledrat

Post by doubledrat »

thanks for the pointers guys.

just to clarify (I should have said this initially), I'm mkv-ing a DVD, not a bluray. Does the same still apply i.e. it's a VOBSUB/IDX issue?
kryzchek

Post by kryzchek »

doubledrat wrote:thanks for the pointers guys.

just to clarify (I should have said this initially), I'm mkv-ing a DVD, not a bluray. Does the same still apply i.e. it's a VOBSUB/IDX issue?
Correct. The Popcorn Hour firmware to support vobsub/idx subtitles embedded within MKVs has been in BETA testing since about February. Hopefully it will be released soon. You will need to embed a different format of subtitle within the MKV.