MKV Won't Download To HHD

Everything related to MakeMKV
spirittoo

MKV Won't Download To HHD

Post by spirittoo »

I got the lastest version of the program from the board. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new and entered the code. On first try I got an error message about the program failing to initiate, when I clicked on the shortcut it would open. I tried several time to back up a movie, the storage file would show up in the program after backing it up, but not on the hard drive where the other program can see it. Any idea what is wrong? :|
Woodstock

Re: MKV Won't Download To HHD

Post by Woodstock »

Let's start with, "What operating system?"

Do you have debug logging turned on? (FAQ link in my signature will tell you how to activate it)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Sorry ... I am running Win7 64 and I don't know whether or not there is some kind of log debugging is on or not.
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Okay ... saw you link and check the debugging log ... I will post the result once the program is done.
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

I ran the back up again with the same results ... nothing stored on the drive ... I made sure the debug log was enabled, but there is no text file in the area it said it would be. I didn't close the program when I went to look for the file. Then I closed the program and looked ... still no text file. Can you view the log in the program itself? :?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Each time you start MakeMKV, it will over-write the last log. You should see a message like this in the bottom window of MakeMKV:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\YOURUSERID/MakeMKV_log.txt
It will vary by operating system and version.

If you immediately close MakeMKV, the listed in the message above would contain something similar to this:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Mon Sep 25 17:42:40 2017 , written by MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release)
Using 262272KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\YOURUSERID/MakeMKV_log.txt
If you load a disk and rip it, a lot more information would appear in the file.
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

I see the message in the program as to the location of the log, but it isn't there. I suspect the problem of the backup not showing up on the hard drive is causing the log not to show up as well. In Win7 the file should be where it states in the program, but it not there. :?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

@spirittoo, could you please tell us where you have MakeMKV configured to save files to? If you aren't generating a log, or an .mkv file, I would suspect access permissions. The default folder would be fine, but if you had manually changed the locations on either the 'Video' or 'General' configuration tabs...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

How are you accessing the directory? Also, the ".MakeMKV" directory is created for storing configuration information (this can be overridden later), and the log is stored in the directory ABOVE it.

Windows Explorer applies different permissions to your home directory dependent upon how you navigate there, AND if you have certain options turned on in explorer. If you go through the full path, you are restricted more in what you can see and access than if you use the shortcut at the top that has your user name.

Also, the beta key expired in the last day or so. Until it is replaced, you will need to temporarily set your system DATE (no need to change the time) back to the 25th, start MakeMKV, then you can reset the date to the current day.

Once Mike replaces the beta key, you can enter that and not have to do the "date dance" to start MakeMKV.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

OK. Free Beta key has expired so you'll either have to wait for a new one, or use one of he solutions detailed in one of the many recent 'key expired' threads. My preference is /buy/ .

In the interim, do you get any info if you execute the following from the Command Prompt (without quotes)?

"notepad.exe %UserProfile%\MakeMKV_log.txt"
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

MakeMKV file is located in C:/Users/Name/.MakeMKV ... the folder is there but no data inside. I did no manual config. I went to open the program, the code is expired ... and it state the version is old and download the new version ... I did that earlier in the week ... that's what started the problem with the new download. :?
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

d00zah wrote:OK. Free Beta key has expired so you'll either have to wait for a new one, or use one of he solutions detailed in one of the many recent 'key expired' threads. My preference is /buy/ .

In the interim, do you get any info if you execute the following from the Command Prompt (without quotes)?

"notepad.exe %UserProfile%\MakeMKV_log.txt"
When I use that command I get this message from notepad ... Cannot find the C:\Users\NameMakeMKV-log.txt file. Do you want to create a new file?"
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

spirittoo wrote: When I use that command I get this message from notepad ... Cannot find the C:\Users\NameMakeMKV-log.txt file. Do you want to create a new file?"
Please note, that the Term "Users" is different in the various Windows Version and Languages. MakeMKV says also for me "C:\Users\...." but the real name is "C:\Benutzer\..." because I use a German Version of Windows.
Best ist to use the Windows File Explorer and check what is the correct name for this Term on your "C:\" Volume. The Sub-Folder under "Users" is your login name. I think, also the saved MKV data files are under this folder structure.
Good Luck :)

Post by d00zah »

'%UserProfile%' is a system variable that SHOULD translate to the the current user's profile path. Unsure how a non-English OS version would affect that?

"Cannot find the C:\Users\NameMakeMKV-log.txt file. Do you want to create a new file?" would indicate either the variable was not used, or was invalid.

Anyway, the suggestion was in case the OP was unintentionally checking an invalid location.