Can't play MKV in WMP

Everything related to MakeMKV
m4rky

Can't play MKV in WMP

Post by m4rky »

I have successfully used MakeMKV to create MKV files but these files won't play in Windows Media Player only VLC?

Is there a particular code I need to make them play in WMP or do I need to re-encode the MKV file into something WMP can play?
bigzaj

Re: Can't play MKV in WMP

Post by bigzaj »

Have tried installed codecs? A simple solution would be installed the Combined Community Codec Pack or you can install the codecs you want manually.
m4rky

Post by m4rky »

I don't really want to install a Codec Pack as I have spent weeks trying to get my Media PC setup right.

Does any one know which Codec is required?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

you need haali splitter to handle MKV file format and individual codecs for particular formats inside MKV - usually mpeg2, mpeg4, VC-1, DD, DTS.
m4rky

Post by m4rky »

Thanks, I thought I already had Haali on as I can process any other MKV file no problem.
Its just the ones I have created that contain MPEG2 video that don't work
m4rky

Post by m4rky »

mike admin wrote:you need haali splitter to handle MKV file format and individual codecs for particular formats inside MKV - usually mpeg2, mpeg4, VC-1, DD, DTS.
Thanks, I finally got around to checking if I had this installed.

I didn't. So once installed I can now play the MKV files I have created with MakeMKV :D

I don't understand how other .MKV files with HD content worked without the media splitter??

Never mind, thanks for the help