Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Everything related to MakeMKV
Seeker47

Re: Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Post by Seeker47 »

jinx100 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am
Portable apps do not make changes to the Windows Registry by design. Though it is optional to change the registry if you want a file extension to automatically use a portable app.
I've been a user of portable versions of the major browsers for some time now. I could be wrong about this, but my strong impression is that if the installed Java is not physically present within their App "tree" (folders structure), and nothing has been explicitly set up in the browser to point to where your Java lives, the browser remains unaware of it. (This may or may not apply to the Microsoft browsers -- I don't know.)

Besides being able to run them off of a stick -- wherever you happen to be -- one of the things that appeals to me about the portable apps is that they typically do not involve the Registry, and the OS is barely aware of their existence, if at all. This should allow you to have more than one version of a given program on call, if you wanted to, and to avoid clashes between them.
mgutt

Re: Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Post by mgutt »

Silum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm
What I did was install a portable version of Java from portableapps.com:

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

Just note whatever folder you end up installing the java portable JRE. Open Makemkv, and click on preferences then the Protection tab, and you will find a section titled "Custom Java executable location". Use the file selection to navigate to the folder you installed portable java, go into the bin subdirectory, and select java.exe. For instance my path looks like this:

C:/PortableApps/Java/bin/java.exe
Works perfectly. Thanks!