This DVD always fails with libmkv error (ifo included)

Everything related to MakeMKV
PierreLo

This DVD always fails with libmkv error (ifo included)

Post by PierreLo »

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the latest version doesn't help with this DVD : Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (region 2)

See attached the screenshot of the error in the end of the process as well as the ifo files (zipped) of the DVD

The particularity of this DVD is that the main movie is made of 6 vobs as follows:

VTS_01_0.vob is 0 KB (yes, zero KB)
VTS_01_1.vob is 1 048 574 KB
VTS_01_2.vob is 1 048 574 KB
VTS_01_3.vob is 25 848 KO ( !!!!!!)
VTS_01_4.vob is 1 048 574 KB
VTS_01_5.vob is 1 048 574 KB
VTS_01_6.vob is 168 248 KB

Do you think this could explain why it won't save in the end and come up with libmkv error (see attached image) ?

I hope this will help
ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 13 20.59.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 13 20.59.jpg (88.95 KiB) Viewed 13381 times
Thanks for your help

PierreLo 8)
Attachments
IFOs.zip
(36.27 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
mike admin

Re: This DVD always fails with libmkv error (ifo included)

Post by mike admin »

Hi PierreLo,

Thank you for the IFO, give us some time to look at it!
PierreLo

Post by PierreLo »

Hi Mike,

Any news on this DVD issue ? I have several DVDs that will make makeMKV fail after processing with the libmkv related error message. For information these are all original DVDs, no reauthored or anything.

Thanks for some feedback as it's already been a week since you said you would look into it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PierreLo 8)
PierreLo

UpdateRe: This DVD always fails with libmkv error (ifo inclu

Post by PierreLo »

Hi again,

I tried to demux this DVD with PGCDemux and remux with MkvmergeGui and it worked like a charm.
So I guess there is something wrong in MakeMKV itself and the problem is not related to the DVD structure in itself.

I also ripped it with DVDShrink, movie only, with only english audio. This process produced a brand new DVD iso file, which I then ran into MakeMKV, being almost sure it would then work, but no, it still failed with the same error message.

Basically, ripping to movie only in DVDshrink is pretty much like recreating a whole new DVD structure (new ifos, new vobs), so this is not the same DVD as the original one, and it still make makeMKV fail.
So there is something in the data themselves that makeMKV doesn't like at all.

Hoping this helps, please give some feedback.

Your software is great, but in all honesty, considering its beta stage, I would have expected you to be a bit more responsive
here in the forums (don't take it bad, this is just a "bad habit" I got from the mediabrowser forums where people tend to reply and solve problems very quickly).

If you need any tests to be done or files to be sent to you for problematic cases, please let me know, I'll be happy to provide some in order to help you hunt bugs.

I hope you keep this great work up !

PierreLo 8)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thanks for doing this. The error says that there is something wrong with MPEG video structure. I'm very surprised that it failed on shrinked version. Unfortunately, we have never seen this error on any disks that we have.
PierreLo

Post by PierreLo »

Hi Mike,

Did you get my email ? It seems that video only will work a treat. So it is not related to MPEG video structure, GOP length or any such thing I assume.
Tests with audio only are under way. I'll keep you posted

PierreLo 8)