Why People Complain About Registration Key Not Working

Everything related to MakeMKV
nathan

Re: Why People Complain About Registration Key Not Working

Post by nathan »

drum1234 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:56 pm
All ready wasting more time than I should looking for how to give these people money... for something they say is free for now.

So frustrated and pissed off enough to take the time and register just to add this to the bitching for people to pay up thread. Want to sell something? Make it easier for people to give you money.
I'm sure then that you've got the beta key and in the opening line in that thread:

As stated on a main page all features of MakeMKV are free while program is in beta. You may purchase the full activation key if you like the program and want to show your support, but you also may use the temporary beta key.

You will see that "purchase" is a click link to the page to enter your payment details.

Think that's about as simple as it gets and on the one thread on this site that everyone goes to!
My1xT

Post by My1xT »

(TLDR at the bottom)

well frankly I can see why some people wouldn't like to pay for software like this. I mean do you guys remember the whole round of chaos with AnyDVD HD? they iirc got hit by courts and revived and after the revival the old customers couldnt really use the newer AnyDVD HD Software, which obviously is fairly ugly.

and makemkv is basically no different except for the fact that it doesn't "just" open the discs but completely rips them, and as soon as this thing has enough attention (I think the free in beta can still have it floating a bit since software isn't "I just want to make money by doing illegal (depending on where you are) things" as one can use the software for free (yet). and there may be a difference between just enabling people to do potentially illegal stuff and selling stuff that does that.

and on top of that there's even legitimate software shutting down with some laws as reasoning, one relatively example is Tunngle basically an alternative to Hamachi if you wanna call it that way, which shut down in april because GDPR and with software relying on the provider existing either because it is an online software like Tunngle or because of the constant need of updates like here with MakeMKV, this definitely doesnt help people trusting such things.

This isn't like back in the Day with CSS which was not only cracked with all four hundred and a few keys blasted open, but also the film industry and DVD Player makers totally weren't prepared for that kind of thing, so they couldn't just swap all the keys because:

1) new ones would have been blasted open immediately as well because the US-Export Cryptograhy was in place (and some more ugly problems)

2) because there was no way to update players, and while it could have been seen to drop a few keys in response to hacks as just collateral damage, basically making all DVD Players that were floating around back then useless would CLEARLY result in an own goal for the film industry by leading more people into piracy because obviously this would show how little the industry would have cared about the legal consumers just to stop piracy (bluray player software does that even today)

but the annoying thing is that they did learn and BD Players ARE Prepared for that and they certainly use that update feature.

also as with the Megaupload thing back in the day, Paying people are a lot more identifiable then people who just download the thing and that's it.

-------------------

so in my opinion I can see enough valid reasons not to pay (Greed is NOT a valid reason) but obviously I can see how the creators of this plainly awesome piece of software also want to make at least some money with it, and 50 Dollars (or euros, I don't like that conversion rate) plus tax is still a lot lower than AnyDVD HD Lifetime and on top makemkv supports mac and linux on top of Windows.
dual1971

Post by dual1971 »

I'm thinking about to buy but Avangate has a terrible rating on several sites. (i.e. Trustpilot)
Considering these ratings Avangate is not a trustworthy site.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

dual1971 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:42 pm
I'm thinking about to buy but Avangate has a terrible rating on several sites. (i.e. Trustpilot)
Considering these ratings Avangate is not a trustworthy site.
Have you actually read (& understood) what most of these complaints actually claim? The complainants, for the most part, used Avangate (A PAYMENT PROCESSOR) to purchase product X from company Y & :

- then blame Avangate when they don't offer 'adequate' support for the product

- OR -

- they don't receive email due to ISP SPAM filtering, or providing an incorrect address

- OR -

- they were just unhappy with their purchase.

Avangate has no control over any of these things. They are a 3rd party.

EVERYONE here who purchased a license, purchased it via Avangate. If they have a support issue, they address it to MakeMKV support. I have NOT read any complaints HERE (except, perhaps, from users who didn't fully understand what they were buying in the 1st place).

In my experience, Avangate is not a problem.
mrwhitma

Post by mrwhitma »

Can someone please tell me where we look to purchase the key - I checked up and down the mkv website, but found no place where it indicates 'if you desire to purchase a key, enter your info here". It would also be nice if a link to the temporary key was available somewhere on the website.

I created and activated an account, but still haven't found evidence of either code. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I really like the software and desire to continue using it.
My1xT

Post by My1xT »

well some makers make it that the distribution of the installers etc is also made over providers like avangate or others and that gets really ugly when you can only download it for like 30 days and after that it's your fault because you didnt buy the "download insurance" which is a stupid concept considering everyone's setup is identical (I dunno about avangate specifically but there certainly are some doing things like that, ironically also Cyberlink, maker of PowerDVD. their demo version cannot be activated and unless you have a backup of your installers you need to go to pirate sites to download a full version setup to legitimately activate. irony at it's best.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

mrwhitma wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:38 pm
Can someone please tell me where we look to purchase the key - I checked up and down the mkv website, but found no place where it indicates 'if you desire to purchase a key, enter your info here". It would also be nice if a link to the temporary key was available somewhere on the website.
The link is actually in the program - Help->Purchase will take you to https://makemkv.com/buy/

(Yea, a lot of us think Mike should put a link on the site, too, but...)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging