I canceled mid-backup and now I'm locked out.

Everything related to MakeMKV
ChrisCaPWN

I canceled mid-backup and now I'm locked out.

Post by ChrisCaPWN »

I was backing up my Blu Ray copy of Alien Resurrection, and realized I meant to backup a DVD first (as it is a faster process), so the Blu Ray could backup while I slept. I clicked to cancel the operation, and then inserted my DVD. I clicked to open the DVD, and was greeted with the pop up stating...

"Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key", etc. I found this odd, but went to the beta-key page and tried to register the code. After restarting the program, I was greeted with the...

"Your temporary key has expired and was removed. Please restart the application." I have tried installing the current key, uninstalling and reinstalling the program, updating to the current version (I was using 12.2), setting my computer's date back, and even restarting my computer itself. most recently when attempting to open the program I was greeted with a pop up stating...

"This application version is too old. Please download the latest version at http://www.makemkv.com/ or enter a registration key to continue using the current version." I have version 12.3 installed, which is quite literally the "latest version."

I am fairly certain that I somehow activated a glitch or "broke" the program in some capacity, since the date didn't change while I was swapping discs, and the current key is good through July (today being the 30th).

Has anyone ever encountered this issue, and how can I correct it? I have thought about purchasing a lifetime key, but am leery that whatever the issue I am currently experiencing may continue, no matter what key I may have.
d00zah

Re: I canceled mid-backup and now I'm locked out.

Post by d00zah »

This happens every ~2 months (like clockwork). MakeMKV is released with the current beta key embedded, & it lets you know when the key expires. This isn't a free tool, just one that the dev is kind enough to make available 'while in beta'. The current beta key is always found here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

although there will likely be a (~) few days of limbo when the current key expires. Best way to avoid this inconvenience is to buy a license, or else patiently wait for the new key. I recommend the former.

Note: key is applied by accessing 'Help > Register' & entering key.
ChrisCaPWN

Post by ChrisCaPWN »

I'm definitely well versed in the beta key expiring, but even when I enter the existing (and still active) key, it still doesn't register as valid. That is really where my hangup is. I've never ran into this sort of issue/lockout, and like I stated previously, the error only occurred after I cancelled an operation. Any advice/help on that?
Thanks,
- Chris
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

The ~ early expiration also happens every ~2 months. "... until the end of..." has never been a precise event & July 30, 2018 does, in fact, qualify as the 'end of July, 2018'. Others have begun reporting it, as well.

I suspect that when the new key is issued,your problem will resolve itself.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

In the interim, Woodstock often recommends setting the system clock back a few days in order to use MakeMKV while waiting for the new key. It's worth a shot & would confirm the speculation that your issue is due to key expiration.
ChrisCaPWN

Post by ChrisCaPWN »

Thanks. I did try to set the clock back, but it yielded no result change. I guess ill just ride it out until the new key comes out amd hopefully that will fix it.