"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Everything related to MakeMKV
npzeyer

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by npzeyer »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:08 pm
This is a one time kinda thing i dont know if these work on mac windows linux but here is the latest windows version as of the day of this post.
It has updated sdf and hashedkeys in this
delete your privatedata.tar and replace it with this one
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lkpL- ... kp1w_nOfDU
Thank you, this works, and is the only current workaround. hkdatastore.tk still doesn't resolve now or if it does, the server IP is not useful.
Using google dns:

Code: Select all

nslookup hkdatastore.tk 8.8.8.8
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** dns.google can't find hkdatastore.tk: Non-existent domain
and likewise for the web based dns lookup tools

Using my ISP dns, it actually just now resolves to 23.217.138.107 and 23.202.231.166 ... which was different from before, but it still doesn't work. However, using Billycar11's SDF and HK files seems to be a temporary one...

One question that I have is that separate from the HK file, why would we still get a failure message about the SDF (the drive firmware if I understand correctly?) if we can get reach the download location from https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin or have it present in the data dir?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Note: hkdatastore.tk is no longer the domain used for the hash key file.

Do not bother testing your DNS server to find it.

MakeMKV downloads the current location of the hash key file as part of its start-up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
chui2ch

Post by chui2ch »

I have been reading the solutions about changing my DNS. I have tried the google DNS, open DNS, and the cloud flare DNS. Should I invest in a raspi and set up a DNS server for the best results or is there another option I should be looking at?
npzeyer

Post by npzeyer »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:47 pm
Note: hkdatastore.tk is no longer the domain used for the hash key file.

Do not bother testing your DNS server to find it.

MakeMKV downloads the current location of the hash key file as part of its start-up.
you mean the current ver. 1.14.5?
so that means whatever server it's using for the hk file and sdf file is down?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, the current version.

Someone described what happens when MakeMKV opens a couple of weeks ago. It pulls the SDF.BIN file, which contains a link to the hash key file. That link currently points to hkdtst17.twilightparadox.com , which should resolve to 91.224.23.225.

If your DNS is responding with 127.0.0.54, that's a somewhat common DNS configuration problem - it it can't resolve a name, it's SUPPOSED to return an error, not an IP!
ranger671

Post by ranger671 »

In the meantime, it seems that locally resolving hkdts17.twilightparadox.com to 91.224.23.225 by placing it in the hosts file works quite well.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

Would it be best to place the resolved address in the hosts file then? I have no idea how that would be done.i just know that i was still able to rip the witch 4k to my computer again,the only difference i noticed was i had to reinstall java runtime to completely process the video after i ripped it to my computer.
npzeyer

Post by npzeyer »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:43 pm
Yes, the current version.

Someone described what happens when MakeMKV opens a couple of weeks ago. It pulls the SDF.BIN file, which contains a link to the hash key file. That link currently points to hkdtst17.twilightparadox.com , which should resolve to 91.224.23.225.

If your DNS is responding with 127.0.0.54, that's a somewhat common DNS configuration problem - it it can't resolve a name, it's SUPPOSED to return an error, not an IP!
Thanks for the tip. My ISP's DNS is doing exactly that. But why? Google (8.8.8.8) does resolve this current host correctly and whatever MakeMKV used up until a week also resolved correctly.
Is this a matter of waiting for records to propagate (although it's been a while now) or does it mean my ISP's DNS is simply never usable with MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

npzeyer wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 am
Is this a matter of waiting for records to propagate (although it's been a while now) or does it mean my ISP's DNS is simply never usable with MakeMKV?
One of the articles I found while searching for "DNS returns 127.0.0.54" explained that a particular DNS server package, treats any "slow" DNS response as insecure, and doesn't wait for a response... It just replies to the query with 127.0.0.54.

Pure speculation: the servers are configured with too short a time-out value, because the tests I've run have response times under 2 seconds from a local ISP. The twilightparadox.com domain uses a dynamic DNS service, which seems to be pretty fast.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

can anyone give me insight into the debug code here i assume its related to sdf downloading,any help would be welcomed,im not complaining by any means
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
makemkv log
(632 Bytes) Downloaded 790 times
MA043HA

Post by MA043HA »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:08 pm
This is a one time kinda thing i dont know if these work on mac windows linux but here is the latest windows version as of the day of this post.
It has updated sdf and hashedkeys in this
delete your privatedata.tar and replace it with this one
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lkpL- ... kp1w_nOfDU
Thanks Billycar11. This worked temporarily for me. Not sure whether to try adding hkdts17.twilightparadox.com to 91.224.23.225 in my host file.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I think my makemkv program is working better.i only get it asking me for the hashed keys now.im going to try a another uhd movie i have later and report back.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

im reporting back after dns change and computer restart i was able to rip the real action Aladdin movie successfully to my computer without the usual automatic SDF download has failed,the program seems to be working now, thanks to everyone who posted the good ideas here. :)
scouser1023

Post by scouser1023 »

I have read through this thread and do not think anyone has provided a clear answer. So for those of us that do not do this for a living let me try and give a resolution and reason why.

I am using Spectrum internet and this issue just started for me. So i changed my DNS settings in my router to the default google ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
This is typically under the internet setting on your router. Next, and this is probably not needed, type cmd in the windows search box and hit enter and you will be at the command prompt window. Type ipconfig/ flushdns and hit enter. Next close out and reopen MKV and everything should work. Please keep in mind you must restart makemkv.

All the nslook up stuff sounds like its not a concern now as the addresses can change, makemkv pulls the right address when it starts up. For clarity spectrum does resolve the hkdata but not the other one. Google DNS did not pull a valid ns lookup for the first and pulls a loopback for the second. So basically using these troubleshooting steps does not seem to provide any information on if MKV will work. If I understand this right this is a change in how the program works due to the issue at hand. If we would know the current addresses we could check them.

If changing the DNS servers to google does not work and other people can use makemkv then something on YOUR side is blocking the flow of traffic out.

I do not understand downloading the files. It seems like any resent disk needs 2 things and the download is 1/2 the solution. The other 1/2 of the solution is having your PC pull info from the internet...which also will fix the 1st 1/2.

Anyway I hope thats right and helps clarify things, if not drink a beer.
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

Well, MKV is now totally broke. I cannot get keys to rip new or already ripped BD"s from the past. I will downloaded the SDF from links provided. I'm going to delete then reinstall MKV but will not touch any network setting as nothing else is having issues.

MakeMKV v1.14.5 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Gamer/MakeMKV_log.txt
Downloading latest SDF to C:\Users\Gamer/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic SDF downloading is disabled or failed.
DEBUG: Code 99 at %.rR&vsq2cI<A6cT:29407040

What happened?