"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Everything related to MakeMKV
st4evr

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by st4evr »

LG-BDNU40 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 am
What happened?
That has been very clearly detailed in all the previous posts in this thread. You’re gonna have to do some reading.

If you do not want to update your networks settings, well... that is entirely up to you and it becomes hard for anyone here to help there as well. Because at that point it becomes a problem with the DNS server/provider you are using, which no one here has any control over.
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

Clearly detailed? Whole lot of posts now, but agree need to surf them.

I'm not an IT guy, where would the clear instruction be to update my settings? Is this safe? Why is this necessary when last week all was fine? Was something black listed by providers?

Thanks anyway..

BtW, thanks to Billycar11, your file worked!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

LG-BDNU40 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:12 am
Clearly detailed? Whole lot of posts now, but agree need to surf them.

I'm not an IT guy, where would the clear instruction be to update my settings? Is this safe? Why is this necessary when last week all was fine? Was something black listed by providers?

Thanks anyway..

BtW, thanks to Billycar11, your file worked!
that is only a temporary fix you should still fix the problem that most likely being your isp dns
its pretty easy to do and undo if it does not work just look up a how to change your dns in "your os here" if you don't want to do it in the router
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

I'm seconding Billycar11's advice. You should not trust the default windows dns. Google or DuckDuckGo "windows change dns" and you will get detailed instructions and pictures. There will be a choice of 3 different primary and secondary dns addresses. Any of these will work.

Don't waste you time reading this long topic.
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

OK, I'll google and look to change DNS as many of you suggest. Hope Mike can find an easier solution for those that just don't want to mess with it..as before. I paid my money so will stick with MKV which has been good to me.

Cheers
dmillionz

Post by dmillionz »

I'm on Spectrum Enterprise with static IPs and changing DNS to Google and admin flushing the cache solved this issue for me.
rockytoptim

Post by rockytoptim »

Any update on this issue? I still get error for cant download sdf or HK.

nslookup hkdatastor.tk returns
server: 127.0.0.53
address 127.0.0.53

My DNS server is set to google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

I can browse to the SDF download and I loaded file into makemkv data folder and still get same cant download errors on sdf and hk.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, there have been a LOT of updates to this. If you read back through the topic, you would see that you're trying to find the wrong domain. First message has in it:
Moderator edit:
Note: hkdatastore.tk, which is mentioned a lot in this topic, is no longer the domain used for the hash key file.

Do not bother testing your DNS server to find it. It will not.

MakeMKV downloads the current location of the hash key file as part of its start-up.

Please read the entire topic for current information!
The hash key file's server address is included in the SDF download from makemkv.com. It is hkdata.fairuse.org right now, and has been for several weeks.

There is also a topic about some antivirus programs blocking access to the domain, and how to fix that: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20851&p=80760
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rockytoptim

Post by rockytoptim »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:07 pm
Yes, there have been a LOT of updates to this. If you read back through the topic, you would see that you're trying to find the wrong domain. First message has in it:

The hash key file's server address is included in the SDF download from makemkv.com. It is hkdata.fairuse.org right now, and has been for several weeks.

There is also a topic about some antivirus programs blocking access to the domain, and how to fix that: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20851&p=80760
Woodstock. Thanks for the new domain address. I did look in the original post but missed in somewhere in the 10 pages of post. I also found the my router (Unifi USG) had GEO IP block on IP's from Russia which is what was causing the error. I removed GEO IP Block and all is good.

Thanks again for the reply and help.
jevans64

Post by jevans64 »

Malwarebytes blocks access to hkdata.fairuse.org. I just had to create an exception for that domain to continue getting new keys.
wrooty

Post by wrooty »

Had this exact same issue today, nearly tore my hair out trying to get it working!

After uninstalling Malwarebytes (creating an exception for hkdata.fairuse.org didn't seem to help) and checking by Ubiquiti networking gear wasn't doing anything funny with GeoIP filtering, I finally found the culprit - it was DNS!

I've been using CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1 DNS service for a few months and it turns out hkdata.fairuse.org just won't resolve with this DNS service. Switched to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS address and all is working now!
Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

Four Nines DNS 9.9.9.9 blocks hkdata.fairuse.org as well. Switched to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 fixes the issue.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Mike_TV wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm
Four Nines DNS 9.9.9.9 blocks hkdata.fairuse.org as well. Switched to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 fixes the issue.
or try 9.9.9.10. Still not Google, but not filtering several DNS queries (I think something with DNSSEC).
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I have not noticed any failures, would the program outright tell me? Anyways, I have not seen any downloads in quite some time. I used to see them once a week or more but it's been a month or more.

My copy of the private data file is dated 2/22/2020 and is >12MB.

I have the Windows update service disabled and have not updated anything out the norm in months.
coldfire05

Post by coldfire05 »

ikomrad wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 am
Is it a serious problem that I should look at fixing? I don't know what SDF is so some context would be helpful.
It is still a little secret, but having this file is good for you. You can always download SDF.bin manually from https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin and put it into MakeMKV data directory. On next launch MakeMKV will consume the file and shut up.
[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the "MakeMKV data directory" located in LinuxMint?
Thanks in advance,
coldfire05