HD DVD Discussions Forum? Bitrot & ddrescue?

Everything related to MakeMKV
turnkit

HD DVD Discussions Forum? Bitrot & ddrescue?

Post by turnkit »

Apologies if this should go in... BD forum? Where is the best place for HD DVD questions?

~~~
As many are aware Warner's HD DVDs are notorious for having bitrot. I've just been opening sealed WB discs tonight and finding fingerprints on the unopened discs. I doubt their QC/QA was good anywhere.

So here's my question... I'm on a Mac. Can I use ddrescue to grab two different disc images of the same title and merge them... and then use makemkv on the final merged .iso? Or is the disc itself also protected and this won't work?

Basically I'm following this guide for using ddrescue on the Mac. The question is about how the encryption works and how I might go about merge two partially damaged copies of the same disc where the damage is not on the same spots.

http://www.happymac.info/cms/knowledge- ... escue.html
thetoad

Re: HD DVD Discussions Forum? Bitrot & ddrescue?

Post by thetoad »

1) Yes, I use ddrescue for exactly that purpose with anydvd

a) however, it might need to only be one with a drive that doesn't have bus encryption (for discs that have bus encryption enabled, don't know if the MOD warner archive discs do that)

2) I can't speak for how makemkv will work in windows with a iso mounter (dvdfab or redfox's one), but in linux, there's no way to get it to use an ISO image to decrypt.

3) with that said, you can sort of get it to work in linux

a) with one disc, start an encrypted backup, this will also copy the info needed for makemkv to decrypt and make mkv
b) create an iso with both discs and copy out contents to your encrypted disk output
c) use makemkv on that directory to make mkv

what 3 doesn't do is enable you to make a decrypted BDMV file system (and why i use anydvd, that + its ability to defang java based protections)
thetoad

Re: HD DVD Discussions Forum? Bitrot & ddrescue?

Post by thetoad »

though I noticed the Q was re hd-dvd not blu-ray or dvd, but same logic should apply