makemkv creates movie with commentary and not movie

Everything related to MakeMKV
idic5

makemkv creates movie with commentary and not movie

Post by idic5 »

sometimes, but not always, I notice that makemkv creates teh movie with commentary playing in the audio instead of the real audio soundtrack. is there a setting to prevent this? i was weatching it in VLC and I wondered if this is the culprit, but I dont have another player of .mkv to determine this. anyone got a suggest to play .mkv ?
idic5

Re: makemkv creates movie with commentary and not movie

Post by idic5 »

just confirmed that it is not the player as I got the commentary with nero too. so makemkv either gave the wrong movie or did not pull off the real movie. how can I tell?
idic5

Post by idic5 »

here is th log 'MakeMKV v1.12.3 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB SB00' at offset '1048576'
The new version 1.14.1 is available for download at http://www.makemkv.com/download/
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 was added (9 cell(s), 0:54:14)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory E:/Video
Failed to save title 0 to file E:/Video/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed'

a question on the above -- the log says that title -00 field to be created, but in fact, title t00 WAS created -- and this was the movie-with-commentary.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

The version 1.12.3 is a little bit buggy, use the 1.14.1. maybe the error with the failed title is gone.

The normal audio track is not always the first track, the commentray track can be on the first position. Have you selected only the first track in MakeMKV? Check with VLC and "Audio" which tracks are in the file and select them to find the correct one. After this you can use "MKVtoolNIX GUI" to move the tracks in the right sequence or remove or add tracks and remuxx the mkv file.
Good Luck :)

Post by Woodstock »

The default rules for selecting audio and subtitle tracks can be fooled by the disk's authors. MakeMKV normally selects the highest specification audio; on a lot of movies and TV series, the main audio is stereo, while there can be Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 channel commentary tracks.

When this happens, using expert mode and manually selecting the tracks is probably your best bet.

I have my selection rule set to pull ALL tracks, because I will sort them out later in handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging