Capturing more dvds in less time?

Everything related to MakeMKV
kirkdickinson

Capturing more dvds in less time?

Post by kirkdickinson »

I have about 1000 DVD's that I would like to rip. (have more than that already finished)

I am looking for ideas to do that task faster. Last time I did a bunch, I set up 2 laptops and an old tower next to my main computer and just kept them all going on separate tasks. That did speed up the process. I am just looking for other ideas.

I have access to a Primera Bravo CD/DVD reader/writer/printer. I was thinking how cool woud it be to load 100 disks into that machine and come back hours later to have them all captured. Not sure how that could be done without writing custom control software for the machine.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to set up a little capture farm. Doesn't seem to take a lot of horsepower to rip. Wonder if I could set up a tower full of DVD readers and have each DVD hooked to a ASRock Cpu/mobo? Each node having a small hard drive that copies completed files out to a common network drive and be able to access each node through the network headlessly?

I am just thinking randomly here. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel? How do others solve this problem?

Thanks
st4evr

Re: Capturing more dvds in less time?

Post by st4evr »

This conversation could be helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=17640
kirkdickinson

Post by kirkdickinson »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm
This conversation could be helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=17640
Thanks. I have tried in the past to open two instances of MakeMKV on one computer with two drives and it seemed like it took twice as long as doing one at at time. It didn't seem that it multi tasked very well. Maybe I should test that again.

I am getting ready to replace my main Photoshop workstation with a new computer. Could repurpose my old one, it has a full tower with a Sandybridge Hex core i7. I could fill that tower with 6 DVD/Blueray readers. I have 8 SATA ports on that mobo. Boot drive and storage drive. Could rip a lot if it would really multitask.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've found that it doesn't take a lot of computer power to read disks, so your multi-computer setup can work better than multiple instances on a single computer. I've had as many as 3 disks ripping on one computer (two SATA drives and a USB drive) and they all got to "full speed" (8x and above) on reading, when writing to a fast NAS.

You're reminding me that I still haven't finished all the Star Trek disks I received two months ago...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kirkdickinson

Post by kirkdickinson »

Thanks, I may do some testing before I decide what to do. If I set up something cool that works well, I will report back.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

Ive seen sales on amazon for the tower bluray and dvd rippers I think the seller is selling quite a bit of them .dont know if that would add anything to the post but i had the same kind of idea the only thing I lack is enough space on a computer to do all my backups .I would need more then likely over 5 terabytes to do everything .It would be neat though to have a computerized backup though that would be on most of the time.:)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Only 5TB?

Synology 12 drive units can accept at least 12TB drives. My 8 drive with a full set of 10tb drives is currently 39% full.

You have to budget for the future! :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging