"Cinavia" watermark protection

Everything related to MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Re: "Cinavia" watermark protection

Post by SamuriHL »

nicholfd wrote: I have done this - the PS3 still recognized Cinavia, dropped the audio and put up the Cinavia notice. The movie Priest was ripped with MakeMKV. Using PS3MediaServer, I served it up with all the defaults to an original PS3 with the latest updates. PS3MediaServer was transcoding the movie on the fly. It was a no go on the PS3.
Yea, no surprise there. There are hacked firmware versions out there for the PS3 that supposedly remove Cinavia detection from some of the playback modes. Sadly blu-ray playback isn't one of them (yet), but, for streaming it does reportedly work. I'm not about to flash a hacked firmware on my PS3 to find out, but, depending on how ambitious you are, it might work.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mike admin wrote:
trondmm wrote:Right now, Cinavia is a non-issue, as almost no mediastreamers support Cinavia. I worry about the future, when it's likely that all companies that produce mediastreamers has been strongarmed into supporting it.
And at that time we'll surely see "remove cinavia" tools on the net. Maybe even integrated in MakeMKV.
Let's hope so. But, if the general consensus is that Cinavis is nothing to worry about, nobody will keep working on beating Cinavia. It'll probably take a long time to beat it, and it's a bit late to start working when Cinavia has actually become a huge problem.

Also, if half of the movies I'm ripping now are Cinavia infested, then I'll have a huge problem when I buy a new player in about three years, and every player available enforce Cinavia. It doesn't really help that I can remove Cinavia when I re-rip the movie, if it means I'll have to re-rip hundreds of movies.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

The following information was posted at the Doom9 Forum by "derbeDeus", regarding the next stage of implementation of "Cinavia"/Verance protection:

http://www.verance.com/AdminSavR/news/n ... news_id=66

setarip_old

New Update Re: "Cinavia" watermark protection

Post by setarip_old »

It appears that Verance/"Cinavia" protection has now quietly been implemented in software players (The first one confirmed is a trial version of PowerDVD 12):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1588794

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

One thing that would be an interesting test is if an MKV made with MakeMKV and played back with the PDVD 12 trial triggers Cinavia. My guess is yes, but, I don't think anyone's tried it.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

SamuriHL wrote:One thing that would be an interesting test is if an MKV made with MakeMKV and played back with the PDVD 12 trial triggers Cinavia. My guess is yes, but, I don't think anyone's tried it.
Do we know if this is the case yet?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

crowfax wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:One thing that would be an interesting test is if an MKV made with MakeMKV and played back with the PDVD 12 trial triggers Cinavia. My guess is yes, but, I don't think anyone's tried it.
Do we know if this is the case yet?
Not sure. I never got around to testing it. I'm more and more using J River MC18 for ALL of my playback needs.
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

So this is only really a problem for people who by commercial media center boxes (people do that?)?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

necrosis wrote:So this is only really a problem for people who by commercial media center boxes (people do that?)?
Not necessarily. It basically affects all and only devices which need a Blu-ray license (for Blu-ray playback), so mostly Blu-ray players (without or without additional "Media Center" capabilities).
Nico83500

Post by Nico83500 »

So does a file created with MakeMKV is impacted by Cinavia ?
Or does a solution exist on PC to play this file without problem (MPC-HC, VLC or another player) ?
Thanks !
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

It is not impacted but still infected with Cinavia. MPC-HC and VLC however don't care and play it anyway.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Nico83500

Post by Nico83500 »

Thanks, OK so Cinavia can't be remove (for the moment) but MPC-HC or VLC can read without problem.
But for MKV 3D (AVC and MVC), what software can read this ? PowerDVD or other commercial software can read but Cinavia is implemented in these softs so maybe it doesn't work ?
Nico83500

Post by Nico83500 »

I've an another question : if a hardware player doesn't read Blu ray Cinavia protected movie, could it play MKV made with same streams Cinavia protected ? Or with any output format Cinavia is detected ?
Thanks and merry christmas !
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

No, the standalone will detect Cinavia also in other containers. Most commercial software players support Cinavia, DVDFab Media Player 2 apparently doesn't.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ejonesss

Post by ejonesss »

THIS CAN'T BE STRESSED ENOUGH - Please DO NOT make any reports based on anything "other than" BACKUP COPIES YOU YOURSELF HAVE MADE of legitimate, commercial discs, because doing so will render this effort useless. "Other than" includes any and all downloads, screeners, cams, copies obtained from others, etc.

and
@skittle

But it pertains to hardware as well as discs...

mainly
"Other than" includes any and all downloads, screeners, cams, copies obtained from others, etc

i do scrap metal recycling and me being in a college town i get lots of junk electronics from dumpsters of the apartments and dorm complexes and occasionally i run across dvds stuck in cheap dvd players people throw out

that is how i got the movie swat.

i also am using the blu ray drive pulled from a junk laptop that the was thrown out because of a faulty graphics chip (7 beep of death)

because i may get the movies from junk electronics and the drive from broken laptops or even some blu ray players use a sata drive.

i was wondering does recovering the disks and hardware from junk electronics constitute as "obtained from others" or do i have to rent or borrow in order to constitute "obtained from others".

if the latter then i will have to buy a blu ray drive and the said movies thereby having 2 copies of the movie.

i should note that the copy of swat i got is legit commercial copy NOT a dvdr copy.

thanks for the help