LG BH10LS38 Silent Play

Everything related to MakeMKV
hickey92

LG BH10LS38 Silent Play

Post by hickey92 »

Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Blu-ray drive that I can't seem to solve. When ripping blu-rays the rip speeds are capped at a very low rate, and from looking at some older threads it appears to be something called "Silent Play" causing it. I've seen that there is meant to be a way to disable it in the device properties, but unfortunately the option doesn't seem to appear in W10. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to disable it on this OS? I bought the drive used so unfortunately I don't have access to the utility software that could also be used to disable it, and I can't find it online.

The only thing I can think of is setting up the drive on a W7 VM and then using that, but I'm not entirely sure if that would work. Does anyone have a better solution?
st4evr

Re: LG BH10LS38 Silent Play

Post by st4evr »

Already discussed and the forum member received a response from LG directly:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17399

This functionality has nothing to do with MakeMKV. Or Windows for that matter. LG built it into its drives.

EDIT: Oh and VMs will most likely not work either. Some tried and it was a no-go.
hickey92

Post by hickey92 »

Hmm, the thing is that my model is an older one and there does appear to be specific firmware for it on the LG site. I managed to find a couple promising looking speed patches after some more digging, so hopefully they might work. If not then as you say, I guess I'll just have to deal with the slow speeds or get a different drive. That sucks.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It is very likely that MakeMKV would disable the riplock (enable reading on max speed) for this drive in a near future.
hickey92

Post by hickey92 »

Oh thank you very much. I'll look forward to it.
hickey92

Post by hickey92 »

Just gonna put this here as an addendum. I did figure out a way to remove the speed limit for this drive in W10. It turned out that although the old LG firmware wasn't detected natively by W10, it was being detected by Makemkv on launch, which meant that it could be installed. I used a tool called "Mediacodespeededit" to patch LG's official 1.01 firmware for this drive and it worked perfectly. Do keep in mind that the software has not been supported since 2012 though, and I am not sure whether it would work on later firmware for this drive (it could brick your drive in the worst case scenario). I doubt that players beyond 2012 will work with it either, but for anyone with an older player, it may be worth checking the compatability list for it. In my case the speed went from a maximum of 2x up to a maximum of around 7x, so it was a massive improvement.