Encoding while Ripping - is that ok?

Everything related to MakeMKV
GaryGygax

Encoding while Ripping - is that ok?

Post by GaryGygax »

Is it safe to rip a bluray and at the same time encode a different file with Handbrake? I usually wait but with this current rig I wonder if it'll be okay.

Using:
iMac Pro
2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, iMac Pro
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
SamuriHL

Re: Encoding while Ripping - is that ok?

Post by SamuriHL »

Ripping is simply labor intensive on the optical drive and your hard drive that you're ripping to. It should be perfectly fine to run an encode at the same time as performance should not be impacted.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I regularly encode video with handbrake while running multiple (as in 2 or 3) copies of MakeMKV on the same machine, ripping disks. That's with 8GB of RAM on a 4-core processor.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Loominal

Post by Loominal »

I'm no expert as I've been only doing this for a few weeks. However when i'm running Handbrake, My CPU (i7 - 2600k overclocked) is pegging at 98% usage. I have 16GB of Ram and that says it's around 40%-60% used when encoding. On this particular system a Encode takes about 6 hours.
I Ran Make MKV while doing this and the Rip did come out ok. It took only 50 mins - 1.4 hours for a 4K movie. However when it's running the Encoding for Handbrake JUMPS from 6 hours to 8.3 hours. Then back down to about 5 1/2 hours left when the rip is done. I mean It appears to work but slows down the encode time for me.

I then tested it on my (i7 8700k Overclocked) with 32 gigs of ram. Encode for a 4k Film took about 2 1/2 hours. (i can do 2 in the time my other pc does 1) However the CPU is still pegged at 98% usage. I would image similar outcome would happen if i would to transfer the drive over and attempt doing the same. However not as large of a stall on the Encode.

So to answer your question... Yes you can.... but it will increase the time for both to complete. Still faster then waiting 1 for 1? i have no idea. :)
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

I've done this for hundreds of files, without problems. Ripping does not appear to be slower either.