Subtitles are not displaying in Burnt File

Everything related to MakeMKV
Caesar7356

Subtitles are not displaying in Burnt File

Post by Caesar7356 »

I have tried to burn a Japanese anime - Nisekoi Season 1 Disc 1 - and when I select the disc, it scans all the way through and displays my 5 episodes with the audio being Japanese (as I want it), and subtitles being English (just like I want it). However, when I watch the burnt file in windows media player, it plays with perfect quality but without subtitles, yet, when I watch it in VLC, it plays with horrific video quality but with subtitles.

Does anyone know what the issue is and how to possibly fix this so I can burn all my Anime?
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles are not displaying in Burnt File

Post by Woodstock »

Which version of Nisekoi did you get, DVD or Bluray? Since you say "5 episodes", I'm guessing you're dealing with the DVD, because the BD has more episodes per disk.

The DVD version has interlaced video, which will look horrid if VLC doesn't have de-interlacing turned on.

And the BD version uses PGS subtitles, which the Windows Media Player doesn't like.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles are not displaying in Burnt File

Post by Woodstock »

Also, if you're expecting subtitles to be "burned in", MakeMKV won't do that. Other tools like handbrake can, and you'll see an 80-90% reduction in the file size.

MakeMKV simply copies the subtitle tracks from the source into the MKV file, and the player gets to figure them out.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging