Thor: The Dark World

Everything related to MakeMKV
djgodden

Thor: The Dark World

Post by djgodden »

Howdy,
I'm not sure I'm selecting the correct things when ripping TTDW. Whatever I'm selecting I always get the audio captioning, like for the blind, and at the same time I don't get any captioning when the elves are speaking. I have to be doing something wrong.
Thanks for any help,
Joel
Woodstock

Re: Thor: The Dark World

Post by Woodstock »

On movies like this, you should have MakeMKV pull ALL audio tracks, not just the "best quality" one. You can then sort through them using something like VLC to find out which tracks you want to keep, then remove the others using mkvtoolnix or handbrake.

While it used to be that the "best" track (in terms of audio specification) was always the movie track, it is now not unusual for a movie with just stereo audio to have a 5.1 commentary track, or a DTS-HD MA 7.1 "descriptive audio" track. The MakeMKV default selection rules do not account for that, so getting all tracks is the simplest way to make sure you don't miss the real track(s).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
djgodden

Post by djgodden »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm
On movies like this, you should have MakeMKV pull ALL audio tracks, not just the "best quality" one. You can then sort through them using something like VLC to find out which tracks you want to keep, then remove the others using mkvtoolnix or handbrake.

While it used to be that the "best" track (in terms of audio specification) was always the movie track, it is now not unusual for a movie with just stereo audio to have a 5.1 commentary track, or a DTS-HD MA 7.1 "descriptive audio" track. The MakeMKV default selection rules do not account for that, so getting all tracks is the simplest way to make sure you don't miss the real track(s).
Thanks, I'll try that. Any idea how to get the "elve language" captioning or is that part of the same issue?
djgodden

Post by djgodden »

Sorry for the multiple replies, I didn't realize there was a delay. I did as you suggested and all is well. Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because of multiple, persistent "spam bots" hitting the forum to sell us on illegal documents for buying name brand fake shoes filled with fake male potency drugs from overseas vendors, new users have their first few messages go through moderation before becoming visible, and that doesn't happen instantly if the moderators indulge in real life. OK, so I was reading light novels for the last 5 hours....

The unfortunate reality is that subtitles are one of the LEAST standardized things in video. On the contrary, there are SEVERAL standards for how to present them.

Mixed language titles can do any of the following:

Create one subtitle track for each target language. Insert into it all text, but flag certain subtitles as "forced", which are the only ones displayed if you play the movie in that (dubbed) language.
Create two subtitle tracks for each target language, one for JUST those "forced" subtitles mentioned above, another for "all" subtitles.
Create many subtitle tracks, containing different VIEWS of the subtitles.
Create many subtitle tracks, containing "commentary" from different groups.

The recent Disney/Studio Ghibli releases include tracks that try to place the subtitle in the relative position of the speaker, as an example of the third one, as well as the standard, centered view. The most I've seen is seven different English subtitles on a movie, which include forced subtitles for the English dub, full subtitles for the original Japanese, 3 subtitle sets for the 3 Japanese commentary tracks (director, actors, production company), and 2 tracks for the 2 English commentary tracks (actors, ADR/production) for when you want to see the commentary without the audio. :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging