Is MakeMKV doing something strange with subtitles? Only working with VLC and not any playback across multiple devices.

Everything related to MakeMKV
bobross

Is MakeMKV doing something strange with subtitles? Only working with VLC and not any playback across multiple devices.

Post by bobross »

When playing back an MKV on my Xbox and PC via VLC, the subtitle track shows up fine.

But on my LG OLED on the latest firmware and the subtitle track option is greyed out on the same files as above in the native player. This also occurs on my Xbox when using the Media Player and Movie player. So on 2 of the 3 playback app, it appears subtitles is broken - or just "arne't there".

Just wondering if anything has changed since I remember not having any problem on my LG TV before this latest release.
Woodstock

Re: Is MakeMKV doing something strange with subtitles? Only working with VLC and not any playback across multiple devic

Post by Woodstock »

"Smart TV" is only relative to "dumb monitor". Most do NOT have the capability to display any subtitle format other than SRT, which is a text-based subtitle format.

Some can do DVD VOB subtitles. Almost none can display BD PGS subtitles.

For maximum flexibility, you should treat a "smart TV" as a dumb monitor, and feed it video from a media player that understands media formats.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bobross

Re: Is MakeMKV doing something strange with subtitles? Only working with VLC and not any playback across multiple devic

Post by bobross »

My LG OLED was capable of displaying subtitles via the native player at one point. I can guarantee you that, their media player is quite good.. Was wondering if the MakeMKV team had changed something. Maybe it's the LG Firmware. Just trying to narrow it down.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Some TVs have a media player built in, but it varies in capability. If it is android-based, the capabilities vary with the player selected, since you're not stuck with just one. And sometimes capabilities go away during "upgrades".

Is it just the MKVs created from Blurays that you're having an issue with?

BD subtitles are "pictures", like DVD subtitles, but in a different format with somewhat spotty support. There are BD-capable players that won't play BD subtitles unless they've been compressed; this is why there is a "WDTV" profile you can select, which will compress the PGS subtitle streams.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

bobross wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:24 pm
My LG OLED was capable of displaying subtitles via the native player at one point.
Text-based or bitmap-based?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch