Latest release broke havecore rule

Everything related to MakeMKV
keithhelms

Latest release broke havecore rule

Post by keithhelms »

I just updated to the 1.14.2 release from 1.12.2 and the havecore exclusion is no longer working with the command line app - makemkvcon. I'm now seeing 2 audio tracks for each language where before I was seeing just one. I reran an extract of an anime disc that worked a couple of weeks ago and instead of 1 English and 1 Japanese audio track like before, I now get 2 of each. Here is the excerpt from my profile.xml file which was working before the update:

<profileSettings
app_DefaultSelectionString="-sel:all,+sel:video,+sel:(audio*(eng|jpn)),+sel:(subtitle*eng),
-sel:(havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang"
/>
Woodstock

Re: Latest release broke havecore rule

Post by Woodstock »

You probably missed the announcement that select rules aren't kept in profiles anymore, and any that are there are ignored.

You now put your default rule in on Preferences->Advanced (if you have expert mode enabled) if you want them to be applied in place of the built-in default.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
keithhelms

Post by keithhelms »

Where would I find that information. There's nothing in the version change history that mentions removing support for profiles and the announcements forum has little of anything in it.

Are you saying the selection rules are now set in the GUI and the batch program, makemkvcon, pulls them from somewhere? Does that mean there is no way to supply alternate rules to makemkvcon without manually updating them in the GUI?
keithhelms

Post by keithhelms »

Okay, I think I figured this out. Profiles are still supported, it's just the syntax has changed slightly so that referbacks such as "$app_DefaultSelectionString" no longer work. I copied the selection rules from DefaultSelectionString into the track settings, like this

<trackSettings input="default">
<output outputSettingsName="copy"
defaultSelection="-sel:all,+sel:video,+sel:(audio*(eng|jpn)),+sel:(subtitle*eng),-sel:(havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang">
</output>
</trackSettings>

And that seemed to get makemkvcon working like I wanted it to again. It still takes the --profile="pathtofile" option.

I found the sample profiles in the appdata.tar file and copied default.mmcp.xml to the default data directory. When I started the GUI, it gave me an error message about having multiple default profiles. It took me a while to figure out that the :5086 in
<name lang="mogz">:5086</name>
Was actually some internal constant for "default" and I needed to change that to
<name lang="eng">Keith</name>
or something like that.

One thing that still confuses me is those profiles have selection rules in the track settings and the GUI itself has a track selection rule which is separate from the profile you select. If you choose a different profile from the listbox which track selection rules get used first?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You're correct that Mike did not post this change in the version history; it was included in a response to a message similar to yours:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ile#p67199

The ONLY part of your string that goes into the Preferences->Advanced Default selection rule is this:

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:video,+sel:(audio*(eng|jpn)),+sel:(subtitle*eng),-sel:(havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
The rest would cause it to not work, as it contains stuff other than the rules string.

The track selection rules in the profiles are now ignored, though; they can be there without causing an error, but nothing will happen because of them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging