Buyer Beware: Comes with Heavy Junk-Mail

Everything related to MakeMKV
schmojo

Buyer Beware: Comes with Heavy Junk-Mail

Post by schmojo »

Anyone else start getting a crap-load of junk-mail after purchasing a license for MakeMKV?

I noticed a huge increase in the amount of junk (around 6 emails a day) that I started getting, immediately the day I purchased a license. A lot of it has been getting through the spam filters, too. It's annoying AF.

It's a great product and I loved the extended demo, but I just want to warn anyone thinking of purchasing a license. Don't use your main email account to do it. Use a junk email address--a real email address that you have access to (to receive the key) but don't use regularly. Maybe that's what most people do anyway and I just had a momentary lapse of judgment.

But for anyone thinking about buying it, you should know what you're getting into. It really is a great product, but if you use your primary email address to sign up, you're pretty-much getting an email STD.
Woodstock

Re: Buyer Beware: Comes with Heavy Junk-Mail

Post by Woodstock »

Do you "fingerprint" your email, by giving each vendor their own address to use?

Not everyone can, depending on who hosts your email, but I assign each company I do business with a unique address for contacting me. The one that is used for MakeMKV is unique to MakeMKV, as is the one used on the handbrake forums, github, Amazon, etc. And it makes it VERY easy to stop them cold, by removing the alias they were given.

I've used this practice to track down two security breaches over the year, because address suddenly got mail from sources that shouldn't have had them.

In the time I've had MakeMKV licensed, the special address given during payment has not received ANY spam. However, the company that processed the payment has "grown" over the years, and it is possible that they've changed policies on after-purchase advertising.

I doubt that Mike would monetize email addresses, but it could happen. If you've got some way to tie the spam increase to the registration, send it to support@makemkv.com so that Mike can smite the problem.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but... Six per day? I've got dead people who used to be on my mail server that get more spam than that. Users from my old telephone BBS system (which had a UUCP email connection) are getting spam, 20+ years after it was shut down and we moved 100% to internet. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging