error when trying to open files on hdd

Everything related to MakeMKV
t999uk

error when trying to open files on hdd

Post by t999uk »

hi used makemkv for a while now just installed the latest version 1.14.13(windows) and when i go to open a file from my HDD the program freezes then i get this error
then when i click ok the program exits but the select file location window appears
and even if i select a valid file after the window appears the program still exits
Woodstock

Re: error when trying to open files on hdd

Post by Woodstock »

Going to have to say I suspect your antivirus program in this case. Did you get any pop-up warnings when you installed MakeMKV, or the first time you ran it?

While MakeMKV isn't malware, a trojan or a virus, it has one characteristic that seems to garner suspicion from some antivirus software - it checks for updates on the same server this forum lives on, which is not in the US. The location is always the same, unlike malware that moves servers around constantly, but it still is "suspicious".

If it is your AV software, it has likely made key parts of MakeMKV inaccessible, causing the fatal error. This should show up in your Windows Event Viewer (for the fatal error) or AV logs (when it moved the file). When this happens, the current download URL needs to be submitted to the AV vendor for them to check it, then an update to allow MakeMKV "miraculously" appears in their next virus database. But you will have to re-install MakeMKV to get back the part the AV software took away.

You need to at least check the Event Viewer log, to see what Windows is complaining about. I could be way off base on this, but the timing is right, since it is a new version.

Some people use VirusTotal.com to do submissions and checks, but some vendors prefer direct submissions.

Right now, there are two AV companies that rate MakeMKV as "suspicious", because the new version includes CCExtractor to extract Closed Captions from video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
t999uk

Re: error when trying to open files on hdd

Post by t999uk »

my antivirus as not complained about anything and when I look in event viewer under application I don't see anything related to makemvk at all

but it looks like more people are having issues as well as found this post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17010&p=71995

which looks like its happening on Linux as well