How to use Multiple Angles?

Everything related to MakeMKV
swampdaddy

How to use Multiple Angles?

Post by swampdaddy »

I'm ripping my copy of Unbreakable (2000) and there is a portion of the extras content called "Trail Station Sequence- Multi Angle Feature". I can see that MakeMKV recognized each of the angles as a separate file. How might I use this on my Plex server?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: How to use Multiple Angles?

Post by Woodstock »

You would have to rip that angle as a separate MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy »

Right, I have both files.... is there a way to make them work together like it does with the Blu-ray player?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's possible to program something up, but the easiest way would be to use the Backup function with a BD-aware player, so you could use the original menus.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy »

Can you give me an example of the player software your referring to? Are we talking there is a way to reference a BD backup made with MAKEMKV that can be played over a network like Plex type of functionality? How would you get the playback to the tv and be able to control it?

Thanks,

R
renfield

Post by renfield »

infuse has limited BD support. it can directly select titles to play (i'm sure angles also, as these will be represented as a playlist).

if that doesn't work, you'd need to use a HTPC setup, WMC, MacGo, etc.

probably a waste of time. there are few multi-angle videos and in all this time you've only come across the one, yourself. just rip the 2 angles separately.
renfield

Post by renfield »

It turns on that in theory this should be possible.
http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8 wrote: In Matroska, an EDITION is a set of chapters that is presented to the viewer; you could define it as a “timeline”. Most Matroska files (and indeed most if not all other multimedia files) only has one edition. However, Matroska isn’t limited to just one edition per file, you can have as many as you want. By itself it doesn’t have any immediately obvious uses other than the fact that you could abuse it to have several sets of chapter names in different languages, but if you combine it with ordered chapters things become very interesting. Among other things, it means you can have several virtual timelines co-existing in the same file; the viewer can (if he has a proper splitter (i.e. Haali’s)) choose between them as he wishes.
So makemkv should be able to convert the vob angles into mkv editions.

But, do any players actually support this?