General synchronization problems (picture vs. sound)

Everything related to MakeMKV
BlueVelvet

General synchronization problems (picture vs. sound)

Post by BlueVelvet »

Hi,

i used MakeMKV to convert about 40 - 50 BD's for my local Mediaserver to find out that for all (!) Movies / series / short films, the sound is roughly 1 second per hour. So for a 2 hour movie, the sound at the end is 2 seconds before the matching picture.

Funny thing is one thing: If I start the playback from the beginning and jump straight into the last 5 minutes, the sound is in sync. Conversely, if I let the movie run for 2 hours and then jump to timestamp 0:05:00 (5 minutes), I also have the offset here. So it depends on how long the movie was not stopped. Pausing does not change anything, the offset remains.

By the way, it's not a player issue, the problem is the same on all tested devices (PS4, Xbox One S, MPC, VLC, PS3 over PS Media Server, Play on Android, and and and ...).

And again: the problem is the same extent identical in all (!) Previously copied films. Even if I put a short film that lasts 5 minutes, just before the end of the 1 minute mark, so that it continues to run from here, and often enough, so that the film does not come to the end, it is after approx Watch for 25 minutes and jump back and forth so far that you can hear / see the offset.

I hope I could correctly reflect that one understands what I mean. I hope you can deposit this somewhere in the settings.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Ralph
Woodstock

Re: General synchronization problems (picture vs. sound)

Post by Woodstock »

Some players have issues with MKV files and sound synchronization. The older Android player, for example, will get out of sync at the rate of a second per minute on some files. Changing the container from MKV to MP4 "fixed" the sync issue, and the desktop players never had the issue, with the same files.

In theory, there can also be an issue with a PAL rip, where the disk authors took a 24 frame per second movie and just "sped it up" to 25fps, and adjusted the audio sync... I don't remember seeing that particular problem, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlueVelvet

Post by BlueVelvet »

Hi,
Changing the container from MKV to MP4
... as? Simply rename in Explorer? (At least I test that now ... in MakeMKV I have not found anything to change)

Or convert again, such as with handbrake? What then again no change as you addressed, but just a conversion ... so the question ...

Greetings,

Ralph
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I was referring to the output from handbrake - run the same source MKV through the same settings, except selecting the output as MP4 instead of MKV, and the MP4 would stay in sync, the MKV would rapidly get out of sync.

There also are a few tools out there that will simply "remux" an MKV into an MP4 with no changes, provided the MKV doesn't contain anything "illegal" in an MP4 container, like Bluray subtitles or unsupported audio formats.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlueVelvet

Post by BlueVelvet »

Hello,

I have now brought the disc to disk (1:1 copied in Explorer) and then run through Handbrake. Same result. mkv, m4v, mp4, ... rename mkv to mp4, convert (I use MkvToMp4 0.224), rip to mp4 ... I can not believe that my Core i5 (7th generation) has a calculation error ...

As a reminder: the playback of the disk copy, even if it is only in a directory, not as ISO, is played cleanly and without offset in all programs on the Windows 10 notebook. ANY disc ...

The notebook is a Lenovo Legion Y520.
BlueVelvet

Post by BlueVelvet »

Really no ideas anymore? Can I consider the project a failure? Does anyone have any idea what commercial software does the same thing as makemkv, so maybe I'll try it? If it does not work then I will at least get support
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

BlueVelvet wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm
Can I consider the project a failure?
Something in your process, hardware, software is the cause of your problem. If MakemKV is doing a bad job, I'm sure, that the forum shows this with many similar problem reports. MakeMKV simply decrypt and copy the content to a file, it does not modify it. Video and Audio sync is done with PTS (Presentation TimeStamp), is this comes out of sync (f.e. packages lost or ignored or bad implementation) you can see this effect.

I've ripped >1000 Blu-rays and use a Hardware Mediaclient Player(s) which reads the stream direct from NAS (no Media Server involved) and I can tell you, that there is no problem with the created mkv files.
Good Luck :)

Post by BlueVelvet »

I changed the hardware. Problem solved.

PS: If you're streaming from the NAS, the NAS is the media server ...
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

Just curious, what hardware did you change?