Downloading the latest SDF question

Everything related to MakeMKV
iFrog

Downloading the latest SDF question

Post by iFrog »

Hey all,

I've had another first for me MakeMKV 1.4.4 running on macOS 10.14.6. When I opened MakeMKV, I got a message saying Downloading the latest SDF followed by a path inside my user directory.

My question is, how do I know if this was successful, this was the only message I got, I didn't get any further messages regarding installing updates, or failure. So I waited about 5 minutes, and since there were no failure, or otherwise messages, I quit and reopened MakeMKV, and there were the regular two messages the version, and drive information.

Since I didn't receive a failure message, can I assume the SDF was updated successfully ? I'm guessing SDF stands for "Software Drive Firmware"

Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Downloading the latest SDF question

Post by Woodstock »

If the download of SDF.BIN was NOT successful, you would have received a message about being unable to contact the web server.

When it is successful, the file _private_data.tar will be updated with the contents that apply to your installation, including the UHD key cache. You can check the file date on it to see when it was updated.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
iFrog

Re: Downloading the latest SDF question

Post by iFrog »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:46 am
If the download of SDF.BIN was NOT successful, you would have received a message about being unable to contact the web server.

When it is successful, the file _private_data.tar will be updated with the contents that apply to your installation, including the UHD key cache. You can check the file date on it to see when it was updated.
@Woodstock, thanks so much: I did get the notice about another download this morning, and I checked the file information for _private_data.tar, and the modification date was today. I didn't do so in my first post, but I copied and pasted the information from MakeMKV's status window this morning, so here is exactly what I see.

MakeMKV v1.14.4 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP50NB40 1.01d" opened in OS access mode.
Downloading latest SDF to /Users/tron/Library/MakeMKV ...

From what I understand from your post is:, the only further messages MakeMKV would display would be if errors occurred. Thanks again.