Newbie Issues

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mr_Curmudgeon

Newbie Issues

Post by Mr_Curmudgeon »

Hi folks - I'm new to the forum and using MakeMKV. I've been trying to get it to work, but running into issues. Here's my infrastructure...

-- Computer: Dell XPS 15 9575
-- Drive: LG WP50NB40 connected via USB
-- Version: MakeMKV v 1.14.4

My goal is simply to convert some DVD's and BluRay's, put the files on my NAS, and play them thru the Roku media player app on my TV's. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, and I don't have any 4K BluRay's, so UHD isn't important to me (at least at present).

What I'm running into is not being able to even get started. Functionally, MakeMKV installed and loads properly, it sees the drive, and knows when a disc is inserted. That's as far as I get. I haven't found a disc yet that is read and shows me the file structure, or gives me the ability to convert to an MKV file.

So I assume some basic compatibility issue with the drive, and I notice some threads saying its not compatible with UHD needs. But is that true for DVD's and BluRay's as well? I notice some comments about flashing firmware on some drives, but is that necessary for just DVD and BluRay processing? Is there a recommended drive that I can buy that will be compatible and work well for my goals?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Woodstock

Re: Newbie Issues

Post by Woodstock »

First question... Did you ask MakeMKV to open the disk?

Just inserting the disk gets MakeMKV to load some basic information. At that point, you have some choices. The BIG button that looks like a disk will tell MakeMKV to open the disk and read its structure, and let you select titles to save as MKV files.

For Bluray, there is ALSO a smaller "backup" button on the tool bar, that saves the disk structure to a directory, with the option of removing encryption, which is usable by programs that know how to play BDs, but can't remove the encryption.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mr_Curmudgeon

Re: Newbie Issues

Post by Mr_Curmudgeon »

Well, don't I just feel like day-dream Johnny about now!

Couldn't have been simpler - but I walked right past it! Thanks for the help.

I've managed to convert a few discs, and overall it seems easy. Having trouble with a favorite concert BluRay "All My Friends" - the Greg Allman tribute. I mostly get failures to read, but sometimes it lets me get started and then fails as its trying to create the mkv file.

Much more to learn....