Yeah backed up with MakeMKV, here's the media info:
mediainfo.jpg
mediainfo.jpg (256.88 KiB) Viewed 20804 times
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Re: Question about ripping DolbyVision and playing it

Post by SamuriHL »

Huh....I really could have sworn they had said that MakeMKV could keep the video track but I guess I was badly mistaken on that point. My bad then. I guess you may need to re-rip them after all if MKV ever gets Dolby Vision support and that's something you desire. As I mentioned, you can do it to MP4 but you lose audio quality and then are required to play it using the TV's media player or some other player that supports Dolby Vision. To me, given all the headaches, it's just not worth it. Plus I use dynamic tone mapping with madvr, so, I'm not missing anything. For the couple of movies that I can REALLY tell the difference (2001 is a great example) then I just throw the disc in. I've also backed up to BD-RW 50's and that works with some minor compression and movie only. You could backup to movie only ISO if you really care about keeping Dolby Vision with the HD audio. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. I apologize for being wrong on MakeMKV keeping the Dolby Vision metadata track. I really thought I had read that it did. sigh.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Please don't be sorry at all, I really appreciate all the help you have given me!

Moving on then, I want digital sound over Dolby Vision so the MP4 is not an option.
Also backing up to an ISO is not an option because I can't play that with Plex.
So it looks like my backup plan will simple be with MakeMKV... However, can you just tell me a little more about this Dynamic Tone Mapping? What advantages does this have and would it work with my backup solution of MakeMKV? Do I simply run it through that program after I've backed it up?

Thanks SamuriHL
Regards

Dave
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

MadVR looks like a video enhancer just for when playing movies on or through the PC, it wouldn't work with streaming videos from my Plex server... right?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's a complicated topic, one I'm still learning lots about and I've been at the HDR tone mapping game with madvr for about a year. Essentially you need a decent Home Theater PC (HTPC) with a good graphics card. Then you need a player that supports madvr such as the free MPC-HC or Kodi, or you can choose a paid option like J River MC. I opt for J River MC because, like you, I'm also a Plex user. I'll get to why that matters in a minute. I personally scan all my UHD MKV's with madvr's measurement tool to create a measurement file. This file contains a measurement of each frame in the movie, allowing madvr to tone map it to the max target nit level you set in the settings. For the LG OLED TV's, that's ~760 nits. By allowing madvr to dynamically tone map each frame to the max nit level your display can handle, in theory it means your display isn't having to do its own tone mapping. We sort of proved out that theory this week thanks to a doom9 forum user who provided some amazing information. That's how we got to 760 nits. Anyway, as I said, that requires a pretty beefy HTPC to work. That being said, I did mention I also use Plex. I have my Plex server on my SHIELD. J River MC and Plex both use my NAS to create their libraries. Same files, different libraries. That means I can watch them on my SHIELD or my HTPC and I only have to store them once. It works amazingly well. But the HTPC beats out everything for quality. madvr simply can't be beat.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

I get it! For me though I'm more than sure my laptop could handle it but I prefer the ease of storing it on the Plex server and running it, I don't want to be getting the PC out to be watching a movie. I mean is it really that much better?

Regarding the max nits though, I have a Q9FN ISF calibrated TV which can go as high as 2000 nits (I believe) but I also have the Panasonic UB9000 Blu-Ray player. I have recently learnt the UB9000 has a tone mapping feature built in which actually keeps the max nits a lot lower than they set the video in the studio. Around 1000 in most cases.

I saw a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTw_Toh0PzA

Does it do anything like this?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Is it really that much better? Ummmmmmm, yes. And a laptop's not the kind of equipment I'm referring to. While I'm sure it's good, my HTPC is a 9900k with a RTX 2070. I'm able to crank up the settings I care about.

I have a UB820 so I know all about the panasonic tone mapping . It's good. But it doesn't match madvr.

Your Samsung LED tv does have more nits to play with than my OLED, so, you should set the UB9000 accordingly so that it only tone maps when necessary.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Will this run it?
CPU: i7-8750H @ 2.2GHz
GFX: RTX 2060
RAM: 32GB

I've set the Blu-Ray to super-high luminance as the guy from that video suggested to me in an email.

I just run it with the backup from MakeMKV do I? If so and you think this will run it I might give it a go to see what it's all about!
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes that'll run it, but, there's a high learning curve for madvr. WAY higher than what you just went through to learn about backing up Dolby Vision. That WILL require an immense amount of reading. But yes, it's worth it.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Okay SamuriHL,

I think that about concludes it then... So once again thank you very much for all your help. You are a massive credit to this forum and you've helped me loads! Thank you!
Regards

Dave
jchanmc

Post by jchanmc »

Daskew78 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Just though I’d add that I’m going to be using MakeMKV to backup all UHDs expect for the Dolby Vision ones where I will use DVDFab’s Ripper which supports it.

Now I need to find out how to identify which is HDR10+ and which are Dolby Vision... the back of the case doesn’t always say... any idea’s?
I am also using DVDFab and I also wanted to rip all my 4K DV UHD into mkv. Apparently there is no way I can do that. If you use DVDFab DVmp4 option, output audio track will be converted to AC3 5 channels. If you rip normally and keep both HDR10 and DV video track, it will not play in some media player.
KingLir

Post by KingLir »

I have somewhat related question...
After I rip, using latest MakeMKV 1.15.3, UHD disc with Dolby Vision (Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible)
Is there a way to convert it to DV profile 5 for playback on Apple TV 4K ? That of the DV stream and NOT the HDR10 fallback.
If it is possiable, technically, what is the data lost when converting from profile 7 to 5 ?
Quentin19

Post by Quentin19 »

KingLir wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:35 pm
I have somewhat related question...
After I rip, using latest MakeMKV 1.15.3, UHD disc with Dolby Vision (Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible)
Is there a way to convert it to DV profile 5 for playback on Apple TV 4K ? That of the DV stream and NOT the HDR10 fallback.
If it is possiable, technically, what is the data lost when converting from profile 7 to 5 ?
Hey I have the exact same question, is it possible?

Thanks !!!
DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace »

Do you guys think that makemkv can have a Fel to Mel converter build into the program ? That would be awesome.
Wanderlust3K

Post by Wanderlust3K »

DennisTheMenace wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Do you guys think that makemkv can have a Fel to Mel converter build into the program ? That would be awesome.
Yes.

Would be nice that at some point either MkvToolnix and/or Ffmpeg get proper Dolby Vision support/handling.

- Extract EL-RPU can already be done (MkvToolnix or Ffmpeg to name a few)
- Fuse BL+EL-RPU can be done (MakeMKV)

Now we need:

- Mel extraction from a stream/track. (unless only BL data could be reencoded)
- Fusing BL+Mel into different profile stream/track. (for device compability)
- EL-RPU to Mel conversion