Question about ripping DolbyVision and playing it

Everything related to MakeMKV
Daskew78

Re: Question about ripping DolbyVision and playing it

Post by Daskew78 »

No I get it... what I mean when I say that is “if” there’s no way to get both, do I go for Dolby Vision and sacrifice the digital audio? Or do I go for the Digital audio and sacrifice the Dolby Vision.... right?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Well, ok, let's step back. I did warn you that this is a very complicated topic. Here's thing. Take the audio question out of the equation. Let's pretend you decide that MP4 is the way to go (something MakeMKV doesn't directly support, btw, which is why you still have to read the thread) to keep Dolby Vision. I ask again, what do you play that with? Because I know if I chose to go that route (I don't) I'd have my LG TV's internal media player to use. I don't, however, have ANY other devices that support Dolby Vision in a file container. I've read that Fire TV, maybe Apple TV (not sure don't quote me), and potentially a chromecast may pass the Dolby Vision to the TV.....but I've no experience with any of that. So it's not just a matter of choosing Dolby Vision over HD audio...it's a matter of what device are you thinking you're going to use for playback? Does your TV have a media player like the LG's? That's the research you need to do. The audio question simply complicates the answer.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

i’m just talking to my brother about this now (as I live with him) and although my initial thoughts were to back the UHDs to support as much hardware as possible in the future it’s looking more likely as I talk to you (and read that thread) that we might just go down the line of backing up with MakeMKV for everything and sacrificing Dolby Vision.

The standards are changing too much at the moment. However, that being said, we have a couple other TVs which might support it and we are about to test it shortly. The LG 55EG920V and the LG OLED55E6.
Regards

Dave
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Oh my bro has just pointed out the TV in the back might also support it. The LG 43UH750V.

I’ll test them all and let you know. If they don’t I think I’ll just back everything up with MakeMKV and sod Dolby Vision off!
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Here's another consideration that you'll learn when you read that thread. There's no harm is throwing the Dolby Vision metadata video track in the MKV. It's not going to WORK, but, it will keep the metadata around for potential future use and COULD potentially make it so you don't have to rerip everything. For example, one far off day they reverse engineer Dolby Vision or Dolby smartens up and releases a spec for storing it in an MKV....in theory you'd be able to recreate the MKV's using whatever modified format they come up with and you'd have a compliant file. This isn't super likely to happen any time soon, but, it's not impossible. So back them up as MKV, keep the Dolby Vision track, and play them with HDR10 and/or HDR10+ in the meantime.

But yes, those LG tv's should have the media player built in that allows you to play a Dolby Vision MP4.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Just as we were about to test them, we have come to the conclusion (with a shed load of help from your good self 😉) that even if it does work we are still not going to be able to keep Dolby Vision with digital audio (at the moment until someone comes up with something). And As audio is more important to me with my setup than Dolby Vision it’s the way to go for me.

So i’m going to back them all up with MakeMkV, save myself a few quid on the software and if someone does come up with something down the line I can re-ripp just the Dolby Vision titles.

So on that note, thank you VERY much for all your help!
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

See my previous response. You may not even need to do that if you keep the Dolby Vision metadata track when you rip them with MakeMKV.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

So I have the option down the line if it becomes supported that I can either re-work the file into a future compliant standard? Or, re-ripp the disk into a future compliant standard? Is that what you are saying?

If yes, how do I ripp the Dolby Vision meta data into it with MakeMKV?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's what I'm saying, yes. When you create the MKV, just make sure the 1080p video track is selected to be included. It'll sit there unused and dormant, but, at least you'll have it so if they do figure out how to do it in MKV's later down the road, the data will be there ready to go.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Perfect... that’s the way I’m going with it then.

Thank you again for all your time, help and explanations. It’s very much appreciated mate 👍
Regards

Dave
rui-no-onna

Post by rui-no-onna »

Alternately, you could keep full ISO rips on HDD. I use a USB 3.0 10TB drive (more like 9TiB) that I got for $150 from Best Buy for this purpose.

I typically rip just the main movie only to MKV so having the ISO available if/when I want to watch extras or in case I ever need to re-rip is convenient and a major timesaver.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

rui-no-onna wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 pm
Alternately, you could keep full ISO rips on HDD. I use a USB 3.0 10TB drive (more like 9TiB) that I got for $150 from Best Buy for this purpose.

I typically rip just the main movie only to MKV so having the ISO available if/when I want to watch extras or in case I ever need to re-rip is convenient and a major timesaver.
Problem being I can't play the full ISO on Plex... So might as well re-ripp it when/if a solution comes available down the line.
Regards

Dave
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:46 pm
That's what I'm saying, yes. When you create the MKV, just make sure the 1080p video track is selected to be included. It'll sit there unused and dormant, but, at least you'll have it so if they do figure out how to do it in MKV's later down the road, the data will be there ready to go.
I'm trying to rip it but can't find the 1080P video file. I've put in "Alita: Battle Angel" and there's a lot of video files but they are all Mpeg HVEC10 3840x2160. I've also tried "13 hours the secret soldiers of benghazi" but just can't find it. Are you sure MakeMKV lists the 1080P meta data so I can back it up?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Daskew78 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm trying to rip it but can't find the 1080P video file. I've put in "Alita: Battle Angel" and there's a lot of video files but they are all Mpeg HVEC10 3840x2160. I've also tried "13 hours the secret soldiers of benghazi" but just can't find it. Are you sure MakeMKV lists the 1080P meta data so I can back it up?
Apparently MakeMKV doesn't list them out, but, it's embedded in the m2ts. AFAIK if you rip it with MakeMKV it'll keep the second video track. I don't use MakeMKV to, well, make mkv's so I've not tried it myself. I had simply read elsewhere (in that big thread you're supposed to read) that it keeps it. I always thought it was selectable but apparently not.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

P.S. Alita is one of the first discs that contain HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby VIsion making it one of the best discs out there.