MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Everything related to MakeMKV
Post Reply
gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi, new guy here.

I emailed MakeMKV Support, didn't get a reply, so I've registered and restated my issue here:

I suspect installing the app may be causing conflicts with my iMac.

First, Blurays are ripping fine, and Mac (mis)behavior is not extreme, for now.

2013 iMac, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, loaded.

A few months ago, I downloaded a trial of MakeMKV and ripped a few discs; honestly can't remember if there was any issue then. Just a couple days ago I purchased a subscription key (version 1.14.5), and got the usual Apple warning that I was downloading an unrecognized app, and I clicked "download anyway" which I've done successfully several times before with other apps.

I'm fairly sure it couldn't be anything else, but apparently MakeMKV is causing some basic Mac misbehavior:

* Boots / restarts take noticeably longer (though still well under 30 seconds).

* After Screen Saver engages, when I touch the keyboard to get back on, the log-in appears asking for a password. (When I get back on, everything appears normal, active apps working the entire time.) I tried changing SS settings, but nothing.

These things have never happened before; I’m not an Apple fanatic, but the machine really has been flawless. I can't detect any other misbehavior. Again, everything else seems to work fine, including MakeMKV.

I'm a little concerned that there may be a conflict, however small, at the kernel level – at which point I'm out of my element to track down or fix. And I would like to get back to normal, and not wait for something worse to happen over time for my lack of attention.

I did notice, after the fact, that v.1.14.5 has a very recent date on it (9/5/19); is it possible that it has a bug or two?

Can you recommend a solution to get my desktop back to ‘perfect’?

OR - - -

If there is no such solution, can you point me to instructions to COMPLETELY uninstall MakeMKV? First, so I can do a quick test to confirm my suspicions. And second, if there is no solution, my need for ripping Blu’s is so seldom I wouldn’t mind downloading your app temporarily to rip, then uninstall again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 am

Bump.

Little help?

Probably asking about a problem no one else has.

But I would like pointers on how to COMPLETELY uninstall MakeMKV, so I can at least confirm whether or not it's causing the hiccups.

Thanks.

Woodstock
Posts: 7256
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by Woodstock » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:02 am

We'll have to wait for one of the Mac users to help out.

A friend that has a Mac of about the same vintage (his is a 2014) has complained that the last Apple security update, his machine took over an hour for the first reboot over the weekend, and has been slow ever since. He doesn't have MakeMKV installed. I should ask him if it's cleared up.

As far as uninstalling, MakeMKV usually puts an "uninstall" link in, which should remove everything except the contents of your MakeMKV data directory.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

BlueMac77
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by BlueMac77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm

gd0000 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 am
Bump.

Little help?

Probably asking about a problem no one else has.

But I would like pointers on how to COMPLETELY uninstall MakeMKV, so I can at least confirm whether or not it's causing the hiccups.

Thanks.
Hi gd0000. Welcome to the community and thanks for joining. On my end, I’ve been using MakeMKV in Mac OS X for 5+ years and so far running excellent. Luckily, I have not encountered major problems like slowdown in boot up or conflicts with other apps. I’m using 3 Mac OS alternately, Mavericks 10.9.5, Yosemite 10.10.5 and Sierra 10.12.5 with MakeMKV. I would also have 2 different versions of MakeMKV installed. You may also need to have a high memory. My ram is 40Gb I've also tried MakeMKV on Snow Leopard 10.6 and Mountain Lion 10.8 and works fine.

The possible fixes I could think of are listed below.

• Check Your Login Items. Click Apple icon > System Preferences > Users & Groups, now click on the Login Items tab (it’s right next to Password). Then select those items you don’t need to open up on startup, and click the minus “-” symbol.
Image


• Reset NVRAM or PRAM on older Mac Machines. First, shut down your Mac, press the start key (or button). Then quickly hold these combination keys: Command + Option + P + R, right after you hear the startup sound. Then release the keys when you hear the sound for the second time.

• Reinstall OS X Sierra. Make sure to Back Up you HD first before reinstalling.

• Multiple external devices connected to your iMac may also prolong boot up times. The machine reads external devices while booting

Note that each Mac machine may be different from each other as the above suggestions may or may not work for you. Hope you get your Mac up and running.

st4evr
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by st4evr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Additional note. The MakeMKV Mac forum ("MakeMKV for Mac OS X" as listed in the forum's main page) is located here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

And where most of the Mac questions/support topics are posted. Hence the title of that subforum. As there may be more foot traffic from macOS users there, future Mac related questions may receive a faster response there as well.

gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 am

BlueMac77 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm
gd0000 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 am
Bump.
Little help?
Probably asking about a problem no one else has.
But I would like pointers on how to COMPLETELY uninstall MakeMKV, so I can at least confirm whether or not it's causing the hiccups.
Thanks.
Hi gd0000. Welcome to the community and thanks for joining. On my end, I’ve been using MakeMKV in Mac OS X for 5+ years and so far running excellent. Luckily, I have not encountered major problems like slowdown in boot up or conflicts with other apps. I’m using 3 Mac OS alternately, Mavericks 10.9.5, Yosemite 10.10.5 and Sierra 10.12.5 with MakeMKV. I would also have 2 different versions of MakeMKV installed. You may also need to have a high memory. My ram is 40Gb I've also tried MakeMKV on Snow Leopard 10.6 and Mountain Lion 10.8 and works fine.

The possible fixes I could think of are listed below.

• Check Your Login Items. Click Apple icon > System Preferences > Users & Groups, now click on the Login Items tab (it’s right next to Password). Then select those items you don’t need to open up on startup, and click the minus “-” symbol.

• Reset NVRAM or PRAM on older Mac Machines. First, shut down your Mac, press the start key (or button). Then quickly hold these combination keys: Command + Option + P + R, right after you hear the startup sound. Then release the keys when you hear the sound for the second time.

• Reinstall OS X Sierra. Make sure to Back Up you HD first before reinstalling.

• Multiple external devices connected to your iMac may also prolong boot up times. The machine reads external devices while booting

Note that each Mac machine may be different from each other as the above suggestions may or may not work for you. Hope you get your Mac up and running.
Hey BlueMac77

Thanks for the reply. Not to dismiss your Mac-basics suggestions, but...

- Nothing is selected in Login Items here.
- The few times I've been directed to reset NVRAM/PRAM, it changed nothing.
- I'm not uncomfortable reinstalling OS X, but it's a day-long chore I'd like to avoid as a last measure.
- I do have some 6 ext HDDs, plus printer and DAC, but everything worked fine until I installed MakeMKV.

That said, in addition to the mentioned issues, Mail started acting strangely. So rather than wait, I Googled a way to uninstall MakeMKV without buying their app (OSX Uninstaller). I can't guarantee it's completely uninstalled.

Restarted, and the issues lingered. Googled again and found ways to disable misbehavior through System Preferences. Why those options suddenly became enabled is puzzling; I didn't even know they existed.

Restarted and everything seems right again. Including Start / Restart times.

(Mail still stalls during Print ("Searching Remote Content") but I put a clunky workaround in place.)

So I guess I can't definitively say it's MMKV causing problems. All I can do is wait for the next Bluray rip and repeat the process all over again. But I would still like to hear from someone at MakeMKV; the latest version is brand-new(?); might be buggy, install-wise.

Thanx again.

gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:21 am

st4evr wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:35 pm
Additional note. The MakeMKV Mac forum ("MakeMKV for Mac OS X" as listed in the forum's main page) is located here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

And where most of the Mac questions/support topics are posted. Hence the title of that subforum. As there may be more foot traffic from macOS users there, future Mac related questions may receive a faster response there as well.
Hey st4evr

Thanks for the reply. I actually did originally post both here and the Mac OS X area, but I guess admin decided to post here only. I reposted there today. Actually that subforum seems pretty quiet.

What I did do before coming here was to submit this to MMKV support via their e-mail address - which I can't seem to find here all of a sudden. Is that not a thing anymore?

gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm back. :?:

Again, I'm not experiencing serious problems, but the iMac is taking a longer time to boot. And MakeMKV is the only significant thing that has changed on my desktop system in the last month.

I think I uninstalled MakeMKV per my previous post, but I can't determine how completely this was done, and the slow boot (never happened before) makes me suspicious. It appears, while going through System Preferences, that installing MMKV changed a handful of (seemingly unrelated) settings. Again, the system worked perfectly up until installing MMKV.

But I had a thought. Can anybody tell me if MakeMKV is downloaded via a 3rd-party installer (such as Amazon or HDTracks employ) that stays installed on the computer even if you have uninstalled the app itself? And if so, what is the exact name of that installer, so I can pursue getting rid of it?

I've a paid MMKV license. I don't mind installing, then uninstalling, MakeMKV for the very few Blurays I might buy in the future. I'm more interested in having a perfectly-running desktop.

Thanx in advance.

jkeener88
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 am

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by jkeener88 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 am

Get a PC, just saying it is a great alternative. :D

Good luck with everything regardless.
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01

gd0000
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by gd0000 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm

jkeener88 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 am
Get a PC, just saying it is a great alternative. :D
Like I said, I'm more interested in having a perfectly-running desktop. :lol:

Actually, everything seems back to normal, after yesterday's OS update.

It would be nice to hear a detail or two about compatibility, but MMKV is clearly not a big-staff Korporation.

Maybe I'll just never buy another Bluray and cut my losses.

Cheers.

Lovely Rita
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: MakeMKV - Mac compatibility

Post by Lovely Rita » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 am

In my opinion Mac / Makemkv compatibility is a non issue after 6 years of use. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV

Post Reply