(SOLVED) The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Everything related to MakeMKV
absolute

(SOLVED) The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Post by absolute »

Hello,
I have a Windows 10 machine that gives the error "The program can't find any usable optical drives."
I have searched the forum to no avail for a solution. I am running version 1.14.5. I have ripped disks from this computer before. I have VLC installed and when I do a ctrl D the drive and DVD in it appear. I have added all of the MakeMKV*.exe to windows defender as well as the entire folder for MakeMKV. I added a region in Device manager for the dvd as well. I think that is all of the solutions that I saw on the forum. Any other thoughts?
Thanks to all in advance.
Last edited by absolute on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyro.tokyo

Re: The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Post by pyro.tokyo »

I don't know if it fits your use case.
I used to have MakeMKV working nicely on my first laptop, and decided to use my much more powerful desktop station for ripping and encoding.
The BluRay drive is the same, plugged over USB 3, and the OS is Win 10 up to date as well.
Only difference, I log to my desktop using Remote Desktop. And when doing so, it seems that any non administrator user just cannot do much with the optical drive. I cannot format any disk in Explorer, and MakeMKV gives me the very same message like yours.
My solution for now is either logging in locally (no remote session), or executing the program with administrator rights.
Woodstock

Re: The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Post by Woodstock »

Windows limits privileged access to hardware when accessing remotely. You have to go edit a system policy to allow it.

One explanation can be found in the answer posted here.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
absolute

Re: (SOLVED) The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Post by absolute »

Thanks pyro.tokyo and Woodstock. I was using remote desktop, hence the problem. Looking back I think that this was the first time I tried it using RD. Both solutions worked:
Starting the exe with "run as administrator" AND

In the local Group Policy editor (run gpedit.msc), go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access
Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions

I know the post was a little verbose, but wanted to give a solution for the next searcher.

Thanks again!
brmwia

Re: (SOLVED) The program can't find any usable optical drives. Windows 10

Post by brmwia »

I have NUC 10 I5 and a pioneer BDR-X007 external USB drive, In my case, the drive would not work on the back USB3 Port. Connected to one of the 2 front USB3 ports it worked fine. Not sure if the back USB3 port is a bit lacking in power or what. Didn't matter for what version of WIN 10 I was on 1709, 2OH2, 21H1, or 21H2.