When making backups, is the region code removed?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Limptoad

When making backups, is the region code removed?

Post by Limptoad »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I actually couldn't really find much an answer specific to backing up Blu-Ray discs using Makemkv. It seems that if you create an actual mkv from a disc then yes the region code is gone, but what I want to do is rip my existing region A blu-rays that I have, ie make backups of the entire discs, then burn that backup back to BD-R so that I can play the discs in my region B blu-ray player. Will this work or will the region coding be retained by the backup?
Woodstock

Re: When making backups, is the region code removed?

Post by Woodstock »

Since the region coding on BDs is in the menu structure, if your player is using the menus, it would still pick up the region restrictions.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Limptoad

Post by Limptoad »

Good to know. Is there any way to remove the region coding, with software or manually removing some files or would I just be better off burning the m2ts video files to the disc without the rest of the backed up disc contents?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I can't make a recommendation on that; I go straight to MKV files, which eventually get put on a media server, and the physical media goes to storage. Region coding doesn't exist at that point. But I'm not big on "extras" and "menu games".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Limptoad wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:18 pm
Good to know. Is there any way to remove the region coding, with software or manually removing some files or would I just be better off burning the m2ts video files to the disc without the rest of the backed up disc contents?
There are other applications that will remove the Region Code. Example, AnyDVD has an option for this. At which point, you will have to go over to them for advise/support.
Limptoad

Post by Limptoad »

I was thinking more something free or open source. I already own a "lifetime upgrades" license for anydvd hd, but that was made useless when they pulled a stunt a while back to con everyone to buy licenses again which I refused to do. So my version is old and wont decrypt newer blu rays, hence why i use makemkv.

Im not too fussed about menus tbh so i probably will just end up making a blu ray with only the m2ts files on them so the videos play staright away when the disc goes in the player. Added bonus to that being no adverts, no warnings or copyright notices or prohibited user operations.
VishaL9781

Post by VishaL9781 »

IT IS FREEWARE to copy DVD to hard drive!