I cannot install MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
jej1234@comcast.net

I cannot install MakeMKV

Post by jej1234@comcast.net »

I have version 1.9.9 paid license installed March 2016. Today I downloaded version 1.14.5 and tried to install it. It uninstalled 1.9.9 and then gave me an error message that said the directory was not empty and to try again. I tried over and over but with the same error even though the directory was indeed empty. I tried other directories that were empty with no luck. Something is very very wrong with the current MakeMKV software. I would suggest not updating it if your current version is working. Something is hard crash defective. I have asked for a refund in the meantime. :(
Woodstock

Re: I cannot install MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

Way back in the days before 1.10, MakeMKV stored more than just program files in the program directory. EVERYTHING has to be removed from the program directory between updates, now, because files you would edit (profiles and such) are now to be in the MakeMKV data directory.

You have two choices - use Explorer to empty the directory completely (best to simply remove it), or give the 1.14.5 installer a new directory to use for the install.

Using a different directory has the advantage of being able to have multiple versions available, in case a new version isn't compatible with your system in some way.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging