Newbie Qs re File Format and Multiple Chapters Being Created

Everything related to MakeMKV
Bubster

Newbie Qs re File Format and Multiple Chapters Being Created

Post by Bubster »

I'm a new member here and wanted to thank the sponsors and the creators of MakeMKV. I was able to flash my new Asus BluRay drive to firmware version 3.02 so that it can read HD discs. Very happy about that.

I just ran MakeMKV on a sample BluRay disc and ended up with one surprise that hopefully someone can explain so that I can tweak the settings if necessary. I've already searched on the forum and googled more broadly and did not stumble on an answer.

I was assuming that MakeMKV would in fact create MKV files on my computer when ripping a BluRay disc, but instead, the program created a series of "MPEG-TS Video Files." When I have MKV files on my harddrive (in my Windows-based system), they are listed as being "Matroska Video Files." I don't see any option in MakeMKV to choose an output file format, so I don't understand why I ended up with something other than MKV output files when I ripped a BluRay disk.

Thanks a lot for any tips or clarifications.
Woodstock

Re: Newbie Qs re File Format and Multiple Chapters Being Created

Post by Woodstock »

Did you click the "Backup" button, or the very large OPEN button (looks like a disk that spins while loading)?

Backup doesn't make MKV files. Open reads the disk directory, and shows you the titles that meet your minimum length setting, and allows you to selected the ones you want, and even (in expert mode) select which tracks within those titles you want.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging