External drive: no longer shows disc inside

Everything related to MakeMKV
greenbutton

External drive: no longer shows disc inside

Post by greenbutton »

I've had my external BD drive for maybe 5-7 years... been using it with no problems the whole time. I am running version 1.14.5

Recently, when using MakMKV with this drive, it's been giving error "no disc in drive". And now I can't get it to work at all. I put a disc in, MakeMKV shows it spinning.. says "disc is being loaded" and then it says no disc in drive.

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW CT30F
Revision: YT04
Serial number: M00A9RC3937
Firmware date: 2009-07-17 16:20

No disc inserted

This drive has a separate connector for power -- and usually I can just power that with a second USB plug. I've had it on a Surface Studio .. though that's a little tricky because I don't think all 4 of hte USB plugs produce the same power. So ... I tried swapping the USB plugs ... I tried swapping the USB-connecting-cable ... I've tried 2 different BD discs.. I tried washing the discs... and now I've tried using it on a different PC. I tried turning on the debugging log in MakeMKV .. but it doesn't seem to log anything. (no file at C:\Users\username/MakeMKV_log.txt)

At this point I'm kind of assuming either the POWER cable is bad (not sure how I'm gonna test that yet) ... or the DRIVE is bad. But .. I figure you folks will have a better sense of hte odds or will have other advice before I just go buy another drive.

suggestions?

many thanks...
Grauhaar

Re: External drive: no longer shows disc inside

Post by Grauhaar »

The OS is detecting (or not) the disc, not MakeMKV. I think the disc could not be read for any reason. Looks like that the drive is defect.
Good Luck :)