Continued failure to update or run MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Seeker47

Continued failure to update or run MakeMKV

Post by Seeker47 »

on a particular W7U x64 rig, that once ran earlier versions of MakeMKV without a problem. I've been intending to write you about this for some time, only now getting around to it. My results were detailed in this thread on VideoHelp

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393 ... ng-MakeMKV

I tried every suggestion they provided, all to no avail also effectively ruling out several theories as to the cause. Later versions of MakeMKV just die, and the app must be closed. If it helps, I'll try to get a lot more precise on the error messages. My interim workaround has been to do a fresh install of the current version(s) onto a different rig, running W-10 Pro. (I don't like Win 10, but pretty soon we may have little choice.) This is working. There is no issue with any attendant hardware, like the external BR drive attached via eSATA. No issue with a firewall, etc. These all proved to be red herrings.

There was also that "SDF download failed" error showing up first in the log, before the program gives the termination notice . . . but I'm thinking that this is not the fatal error.

I'd like to find out how to overcome this problem on that W7 desktop rig, particularly in case it has some wider applicability and is something I need to learn about. I think very highly of your program, when it is working for me. I would be only too glad to purchase a license for this program, regardless of how long the "free while in Beta" thing is apt to continue.
Woodstock

Re: Continued failure to update or run MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

Since I run MakeMKV on 64bit Windows 7, often for hours on end (ripping ST:TNG took several days, even with two drives), it's not a generic problem for 64bit Windows.

Fatal errors usual involve log entries at the system level. Have you checked the Event Viewer? There are many things that can go wrong, especially if you're keeping your Windows "up to date" (allowing Microsoft to handle updates). There have been several instances where the Windows Defender program decided files were "dangerous" and quietly quarantined them, making MakeMKV (and other applications) have fatal exceptions.

If you're not trying to rip a Lionsgate disk, Java version is irrelevant - it isn't used.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Seeker47

Re: Continued failure to update or run MakeMKV

Post by Seeker47 »

Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look through the Event Viewer and see if anything jumps out at me. If anything, I'm leaning in the opposite direction: being deeply suspicious of MS updates, I've lagged considerably behind on applying them. In particular, I distrust their monthly "Rollup" basket of updates, where you don't really know what's in them. I've seen those things trash computers, where you had to resort to an Acronis image (which could be a few months old, so you're bound to be losing some stuff), to roll things back to a state before the rollup was applied. (Restore points made by the OS might not be sufficient to return to a good, working state.) So, I got in the habit of closely following the "Ask Woody" column at InfoWorld, which tracks the various MS Updates and the havoc they may cause, putting in long delays and vetting things carefully before I would apply an update. Many of the updates that seemed dubious or suspicious to me I simply avoided altogether. (We already know about their attempts to retrofit 7 with that Win-10 tattletale and spyware crap.) I'd rather have a system that I could rely on to continue with the status quo. Too many important programs on there. I'll take my chances on the security.

That said, I was using Win Defender for AV (along with MBAM) on that W7 rig in question, whereas other computers here had Avast instead. But the Win-10 Pro rig that accepted the fresh install of MakeMKV with no problems (so far) must certainly have whatever succeeded Win Defender.