Keeping Blu-ray files?!?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Four1Seven

Keeping Blu-ray files?!?

Post by Four1Seven »

Hello I was wondering if there is any use to keep the original files for the Blu-ray that I rip?

I rip them with MKV and the file is like 30gb then I use Handbrake to convert it to MP4 and usually ends up being like 5gb or so. I have been keeping both copies in files but now my hard drive is full so I was wondering is there even any use to keeping the big file from MKV after converting it? I was thinking it has to be better resolution since the file is so much bigger but what can play it at full quality? Also is there any free software to burn a actual Blu-ray Disc that you can use in your Blu-ray player?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Keeping Blu-ray files?!?

Post by Woodstock »

As long as you have the BD itself, there is no real need to hang on to the raw files; you can always rip them again.

Keep the raw as long as you're experimenting with different settings in handbrake for that particular video, but delete it when you're done.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

Four1Seven wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:16 am
I was thinking it has to be better resolution since the file is so much bigger
Not resolution, but quality. They're big because there's more information describing each frame in those files than there is when you convert them. Whether you can see the difference is something you'll have to test and figure out on your own. If the 5 GB file looks good to you then as Woodstock said, there's no need to keep the original.
Four1Seven wrote:
but what can play it at full quality?
Nowadays anything should be able to play an MKV file at full quality, at least when we're talking about standard Blu-rays and not UHD because in case of UHD there's also the extra HDR information and of course the fact that the resolution is 4K so to actually see all the pixels, you'll need a 4K/UHD screen.
Four1Seven

Post by Four1Seven »

Four1Seven wrote:
but what can play it at full quality?
Nowadays anything should be able to play an MKV file at full quality, at least when we're talking about standard Blu-rays and not UHD because in case of UHD there's also the extra HDR information and of course the fact that the resolution is 4K so to actually see all the pixels, you'll need a 4K/UHD screen.
[/quote]

How do I get it to play on my Blu-ray player from my computer?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you're asking how to get the BD player to load the files from the computer, that depends on what the BD player can do. Some will work with any SMB share, while some require you to set up a DLNA server on the computer.Some older units only play from flash drives plugged into the unit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pm
while some require you to set up a DLNA server on the computer
DLNA (UPnP) means using a common protocol, which means in most cases transcoding of the video and audio streams, so quality maybe lost.
Good Luck :)