General question on how to use MakeMKV..

Everything related to MakeMKV
LivioMerino

General question on how to use MakeMKV..

Post by LivioMerino »

Hello,

My apologies if this has previously been discussed, as I am both new to the forum and to this software.

First here’s what I’m looking to use MakeMKV for:

I use a program called DVDAudioExtractor to rip audio files from a DVD/Blu-ray. In order for the program to be able to read and rip audio from blu-Ray discs, I need another program to decrypt or remove the protections from the disc. Previously I have used AnyDVD to do this, but my license ran out, and that company cannot currently accept payment to renew the license.

DVDAudioExtractor recommends MakeMKV as another option to do what AnyDVD did. My problem is, I have no idea how to use MakeMKV in this way. With AnyDVD, it ran in the background and I didn’t have to do a thing. I’m not looking to make a back-up or rip any video files or anything like that - I just want to remove the BD protection so I can rip the audio files.

Can anyone help me understand how I can do this with MakeMKV?

Thanks in advance!
Grauhaar

Re: General question on how to use MakeMKV..

Post by Grauhaar »

MakeMKV can rip a specific title (Video and audio(s) and subtitle(s) streams into a single MKV file. If you need the streams extracted for this MKV file, you can use "mkvextract" whch is part of the "MKVToolNIX" package. Thre are also other tools available to extract it.
Good Luck :)

Re: General question on how to use MakeMKV..

Post by st4evr »

LivioMerino wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:21 pm

DVDAudioExtractor recommends MakeMKV as another option to do what AnyDVD did. My problem is, I have no idea how to use MakeMKV in this way. With AnyDVD, it ran in the background and I didn’t have to do a thing. I’m not looking to make a back-up or rip any video files or anything like that - I just want to remove the BD protection so I can rip the audio files.

Can anyone help me understand how I can do this with MakeMKV?

Thanks in advance!
And to more directly answer the other part of your question. No, MakeMKV does not directly function in the same way AnyDVD does. MakeMKV is mostly a ripping/backup solution which does not have the "background" decryption mode that AnyDVD does by design. With MakeMKV you have to either backup the full disc or create the MKV file prior to working with its decrypted content.

Or do as Grauhaar advises.