Am I understanding this correctly??

Everything related to MakeMKV
BadMoonRyzen

Am I understanding this correctly??

Post by BadMoonRyzen »

So, for years to back up my Blu Rays I've been using a combination of eac3to via command prompt to figure out playlist obfuscation, ANYDvd to read the disc, and TS Muxer to separate the audio and video to select only what I need. So a 3 step process bare minimum.

I recently purchased a Libredrive modded ASUS BW-16D1HT. (From JongHotti, FANTASTIC customer service by the way!!). I did this to be able to back up my UHD discs as well as my Blu Rays.

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, with the Libredrive enabled there is no need for playlist obfuscation at all? For either Blu Ray or UHD? I've tested a few by just simply clicking on the picture of the drive on the MakeMkV software, only selecting the largest file and English audio options and letting it rip and every one has came out perfect so far. It just seems too easy?

And, last question. I have no problem purchasing the lifetime license for MakeMKV after my 30 day trial is up, but after reading on here is seems like almost no one does? Why is the reason for that and what would be the main benefit for buying it?

Sorry if these topics have been beat to death, but I did try to do some digging first before I posted. Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Am I understanding this correctly??

Post by Woodstock »

Playlist obfuscation is separate from LibreDrive - it's just flooding the disk with fake playlists, which still exists.

What it gets past is when a version of AACS encryption locks out your drive from being used, because LD makes the drive just respond to commands, rather than interpreting whether or not it's ALLOWED to respond to commands.

Lifetime license means compensating Mike for his work, and not having to go searching for a new beta key every 60 days. I have no idea what the percentages of beta vs. permanent licenses is here on the forum.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BadMoonRyzen

Post by BadMoonRyzen »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:35 pm
Playlist obfuscation is separate from LibreDrive - it's just flooding the disk with fake playlists, which still exists.

What it gets past is when a version of AACS encryption locks out your drive from being used, because LD makes the drive just respond to commands, rather than interpreting whether or not it's ALLOWED to respond to commands.

Lifetime license means compensating Mike for his work, and not having to go searching for a new beta key every 60 days. I have no idea what the percentages of beta vs. permanent licenses is here on the forum.
Ok, so if the fake playlists still exist, how have the 4 or so movies I've ripped without using any kind of playlist obfuscation tool worked perfectly? Forgive me if I'm still not grasping exactly what you're saying, just trying to make sure I understand it perfectly. As for the lifetime license, I'll buy one before the end of the weekend!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Playlist obfuscation isn't quite the same as having multiple cuts of a movie on a disk.

Example: Disney (and related companies) will have 2 or 3 versions of a title on a disk. They differ only in the parts of the film where the language on signs and such would be different, and 00800.mpls will almost always be the English version on disks distributed in the Americas.

Some films will have "theatrical" and "director" (or similar) cuts, constructed from the same files, each having a different playlist file controlling what plays when.

Then, there's Lionsgate titles. These are the obfuscation disks, where dozens (DVD) to hundreds (BD/UHD) of fake titles exist, with scrambled scenes and even instructions pointing at non-existent parts of the disk. MakeMKV tries to figure out which one is which, but isn't always successful.

(LibreDrive doesn't change any of the above.)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BadMoonRyzen

Post by BadMoonRyzen »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 pm
Playlist obfuscation isn't quite the same as having multiple cuts of a movie on a disk.

Example: Disney (and related companies) will have 2 or 3 versions of a title on a disk. They differ only in the parts of the film where the language on signs and such would be different, and 00800.mpls will almost always be the English version on disks distributed in the Americas.

Some films will have "theatrical" and "director" (or similar) cuts, constructed from the same files, each having a different playlist file controlling what plays when.

Then, there's Lionsgate titles. These are the obfuscation disks, where dozens (DVD) to hundreds (BD/UHD) of fake titles exist, with scrambled scenes and even instructions pointing at non-existent parts of the disk. MakeMKV tries to figure out which one is which, but isn't always successful.

(LibreDrive doesn't change any of the above.)
Ok, excellent. I've certainly noticed that with Disney films, and many other that the playlist is 00800. I didn't put together that when hundreds of playlists pop up that it's a lionsgate title, but now I know. Ok, so I will keep my current playlist obfuscation structure in place just in case I get a difficult one MakeMKV doesn't get. Thanks for your help!
BadMoonRyzen

Post by BadMoonRyzen »

Ok, so I did think of one more question. Now I know that playlist obfuscation is still needed with standard blu ray. With the libredrive enabled Asus that I have for UHD discs, is it still needed for UHD discs? If so I need to find another method for those as my current one does not support 4k discs. Thanks!
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Ok, so I did think of one more question. Now I know that playlist obfuscation is still needed with standard blu ray. With the libredrive enabled Asus that I have for UHD discs, is it still needed for UHD discs?
Yes, LibreDrive cures cancer and promotes world peace!

Read the topic "What is LibreDrive?" Nothing there mentions playlist obfuscation.