Decoding/Rip speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
rohtua

Decoding/Rip speed

Post by rohtua »

Hi,

Apologies if this has been has been answered somewhere already but I couldn't find anything on Google or the forum search. I'm just curious, when I'm rippinng DVDs depending on the disc it can actaully take longer to rip the DVD than a blu ray. I was wondering if someone could explain why that is?

I recently bought a brand new tv show on blu ray and ripped it using MakeMKV and it took around 3 minutes per episode to rip (each episode was around 5GB) and for MakeMKV to read the disc it was a couple of minutes. I'm now ripping a TV show from DVD (the show is originally from the 60's) and its taking 5-10 minutes to read the disc and the same 3 minutes to rip it despite the file size being 2GB rather than 5GB.

I'm just curious as to why a DVD can be slower than a blu ray to read/rip. Is it simply going to be that a DVD is a slower speed medium (like using USB 1 vs USB 3) and the speed my drive is cable of is limited by the capability of whats its reading or is it something else?
Woodstock

Re: Decoding/Rip speed

Post by Woodstock »

Bit density. There is a limit to how fast you can safely spin a plastic disk. The density of bits on a disk get higher as you go CD->DVD->BD->UHD, so the theoretical rip rate goes up for the same spinning speed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Re: Decoding/Rip speed

Post by st4evr »