Purchasing registration code with paypal.

Everything related to MakeMKV
blueadep7

Purchasing registration code with paypal.

Post by blueadep7 »

Hi,

I was pleased to see that the web page where registration codes are purchased has the paypal icon, as I generally won't use a credit card except on a mainstream site... paypal being pre-authorised for a single transaction of a fixed value, while a credit card is not.

However I've spent some time looking at the payment page, and I cannot find any paypal option.... where can I find this?
Woodstock

Re: Purchasing registration code with paypal.

Post by Woodstock »

If you had used the SEARCH function and searched for "paypal", you'd have had your answer - PayPal is the reason you can't buy MakeMKV with PayPal. They will not allow it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
blueadep7

Post by blueadep7 »

I wasn't expecting to search for the reason I could not use paypal, and I don't want to be awkward, since this is a great product, but since there's a paypal icon on your "http://www.makemkv.com/buy/" page it didn't seem unreasonable.

Is there any other payment service that does not require me to provide persistent payment details such as a credit card, I'm no particular fan of paypal, but this is a major flaw in our financial system for the web.... and I can't say that I've ever heard of "2checkout".
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

2checkout is a newer "brand" for Avangate, which has been around for some time. And, to be honest, I used PayPal when I bought my license in 2011, because I wasn't familiar with Avangate, either.

The buttons on https://makemkv.com/buy/ come directly from Avangate's site, and they are not customized for MakeMKV. Avangate does accept PP, in general, unless PP forbids it--which, in the case of anything that might be of use to pirates, PP does. It doesn't matter that you can still use PP to buy "genuine" pirated content from eBay, we're the ones that have to pay using other methods.

I do know that some people have used refillable "Visa Gift Cards" for online purchases, refilling them with just enough to cover a particular purchase. And, it is possible to get "one-time use" CC numbers from several card companies; I've not used that yet, but I have friends who have. You know, the "friend of a friend's sister's cousin in New Jersey heard of a guy who's ex-girlfriend knew a guy who ..." explanation. :roll:

Over on J-Novel.club, there has been similar discussions for payments, because their payment processor doesn't accept "everything".
blueadep7

Post by blueadep7 »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:15 pm
in the case of anything that might be of use to pirates,
It's a little arbitrary isn't it... after all I can buy a computer, or a blueray drive....

Oh well, I'll have to look into whatever other options there are whenever the time comes.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's called "Virtue Signaling".

People and companies do it to avoid being thought of as "bad" by those they fear, whether the action (or inaction) is logical or even sane.

In this case, there is probably a very small percentage of MakeMKV licenses that are used for piracy. But, the people with lots of money in their wallets spent a lot of that on fancy copy protection methods, and any attempt to thwart that is "evil", even if it is legal in many parts of the world. PayPal is signaling to the MPA and similar organizations that it "has their back" on preventing piracy.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

You can use a virtual credit card
One I know of is privacy.com
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com